Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 15th, 2005, 02:27 AM

format,install os

did format on hard drive,downloaded floppy boot disk from cth. started comp with boot disk got this message.oak technology.driver versionv340,device name banana.tried boot disk from a utility and got A:\>.tried different commands i used on another hd,but did not get anywhere.can someone help me with this?
Old January 15th, 2005, 03:26 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Go HERE. download the file Windows 98 Custom, No Ramdrive Once downloaded (do not download directly to the floppy), double click on it and have a clean formatted floppy in, it will extract the boot files on to the floppy.

Now boot with it.
Old January 15th, 2005, 03:08 PM

boot disk

murf,i did go to boot disk site and downloaded boot disk.it gave me same message as other boot disk.banana name. jay
Old January 15th, 2005, 05:36 PM

Using the boot disk and after it told you "Banana" and it gets you to the A:/> prompt, did it come up and tell you it loaded a driver for your CDROM? May say something like Drive 0=D or something like that, or does it say cannot find cdrom no driver loaded.

Do you know is your cdrom connected directly to your sound card?

Is this an older computer???
Old January 16th, 2005, 01:21 AM

boot disk

murf,it only got me to banana name. a utility boot disk gave me a: prompt.my cd will start up but it says non system disk to the win 98 disk,remove and hit any key. jay
Old January 16th, 2005, 01:53 AM

OK, Obviously it is not loading a CDROM driver.

Do you know is your cdrom connected directly to your sound card?

Is this an older computer???
Old January 16th, 2005, 01:56 AM

Question CDrom support?

Did you do the:
"start computer with CDrom support" ?
Old January 16th, 2005, 04:58 AM

boot disk

murf, it is about 7yr. old ibm 600 lap top. i have another hard drive and it works fine in this computer. my wife wants to learn how to use a computer,so i want to install this hard drive with just win 98se in it,in case it gets crashed i won't lose my programs i have on the other drive.i went into bios and changed to floppy boot first,and also had cd boot first,but it made no difference in booting up. jay
Old January 16th, 2005, 06:59 AM

Was the drive connected to the laptop when you formatted it???? That LapTop should boot from a boot disk. Is this a swappable floppy/cdrom drive bay????
Old January 16th, 2005, 01:51 PM

boot disk

murf,yes the cd drive was connected when i formatted. the floppy is a external drive.this same thing happened on the other hard drive when i tried to install xp on it.it crashed when i uninstalled what was loaded of xp.it took a long time with cyber tech help to get win 98 back in the hard drive.this is almost like the same problem.i have tried a lot of commands at Arompt,but it says bad command,or sometimes wrong drive letter. i have tried all letters from a to s,i had written down r as the letter i used last time. jay
Old January 19th, 2005, 01:59 AM

cd drive

murf,you are right about my cd drive being missing. i ran a flopy utility program it found no cd drive. i downloaded drivers for bayswap from ibm but cannot get them installed to cd drive.message says no files found.i keyed in where ibm site and find says they are.but no can find.any suggestions?jay