Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old December 6th, 2004, 10:43 AM

Problem setting up email accounts on Outlook Express

Hi
I use NTL cable broadband and XP Professional Service Pack 2 with a home network. I use Outlook Express 6 for my email.

I use the NTL email service as my default and this is working fine. I also maintained my two previous email services virgin.net and freeuk.com as backups and to save notifying old correspondents of a change. These were working fine until I attempted to add a fourth email service and somehow overwrote the virgin and freeuk setups on Outlook Express. I have re-entered these (and the new fourth one) but am only able to receive mail sent to them. I can no longer use them to send. The messages I receive are:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'madge2@ntlworld.com'. Subject 'test 21', Account: 'pop.freeuk.net', Server: 'relay.freeuk.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 relay not permitted', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'madge2@ntlworld.com'. Subject 'test 22', Account: 'Virgin.net', Server: 'mail.virgin.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 RCPT TO:<madge2@ntlworld.com> Relaying not allowed - please use SMTP AUTH', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Note that I have substituted madge2@ntlworld.com here for my actual NTL email address which, as I said, is working fine and is obviously not the problem.

I have re-set up the Virgin and FreeUK accounts on Outlook Express copying the settings for the correctly functioning working NTL account (though substituting the appropriate POP3 addresses, SMTP addresses, account names and passwords as advised by the respective ISPs and which previously worked fine until now).

Am I am either overlooking some obvious step or has something changed on my system? (I have installed XP Pro SP2 since my email accounts were originally set up).
Old December 6th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Arrow Authentication needed for mail servers

I don't have OE, but I do use outlook and I think I know what your problem is and can point you in the general direction to fix it. I think those 2 mail servers are refusing to send your email because they don't know who you are and the mail traffic is not originating on their network. So you need to authenticate yourself with the mail servers when you are sending out mail.

In the mail setup for the accounts there should be an option to authenticate for outgoing mail. In Outlook it is hidden away under 'More Settings'->outgoing server.
Old December 6th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

z1p is correct.
You need to use smtp.ntlworld.com as your SMTP Server.
Old December 9th, 2004, 11:14 AM

Thanks for your replies, guys.

I am getting old and careless!