Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old July 2nd, 2004, 09:07 PM

Phone Line LAN

I was asked to troubleshoot a friends phone line network(of which I have NO experience). He has both W98 and XP Pro boxes on a network. The box that has the internal dsl modem card and the incoming phone line was W98 and all was fine in network land. I could access the internet and see each other. All the boxes had a 2 connection phone line card in them so they could be daisy-chained together except for one or two upstairs that just had single connections in them. He then installed XP Pro on that box and everything went down hill quickly. The XP box can still get to the internet but none of the others can and they could NOT see each other.

I unchecked the Simple File Sharing box in Folder Options and I could then see the network and assumed the internet but alas that was not to be. The XP firewall was disabled and the ICS was not running and I made sure the tcp/ip was all correct on the boxes etcetera - etcetera. Nothing worked. We uninstalled W98 and it worked fine.

What am I missing??

Help Please--

John