Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old February 11th, 2011, 02:09 AM

Upgrade my Computer... maybe?

Ok here's what I have
EVGA Nvidia 9800 gt 1gb
6gb's ram
Intel Pentium Dual core E5300 2.6ghz cpu
Windows 7 64 bit home premium
OCZ ModXstream Pro Power 700 watt PSU
Motherboard (not sure, came with the computer but its dimensions are roughly 25cm x 23 cm)
My Computer is constantly crashing and iv had like 4 incidents with the blue screen in the past year. Its not just games that I would understand it crashing from like Mafia 2 and Fallout New Vegas but it crashes with games like Stronghold Crusaders and AOE II. Im considering buying a new motherboard+CPU but Im not sure if that would fix the problem though. Any Help/Advice given would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Hollyheist; February 11th, 2011 at 04:22 AM.
Old February 12th, 2011, 05:38 PM

Knowing what motherboard you have would help. Also are you overclocking any of your components? Do you have mixed ram? Have you monitored you system temps leading up to the crashes? Crashes of that nature(in game) tend to be heat related. But if you're not getting artifacts before the crashes I'd likely say that it's a problem with your cpu/mobo/ram combo. I have the same problem with my comp. It doesn't matter what game it is. It isn't heat related and I've narrowed the problem down to my mobo and/or my cpu. It's quite likely you have the same problem
Old February 13th, 2011, 12:19 AM

Kay, I dwelled a bit deeper into my computer and found out its a Gateway FMCP7AM With American Megatrends inc Bios version R01-A1C0 and my ram... it doesnt say... Its like some generic brand of Ram but I know they are all DDR2, I have three 2 gb ram cards. I was thinking about getting a new motherboard+processor but i just wanted to confirm if that was the right idea. ANd At first I though it was heating issues that was causing my computer to crash because the video card was always hot but lately it just crashes regardless of the heat.
Old February 13th, 2011, 12:23 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
check your ram to see if they are bad - check one stick at a time.

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp