Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:43 PM

Can't access Safe mode.

After utilizing the services of CTH via Jintan (malware forum moderator) I suggested we try all features of XP of which one was Safe Mode. Upon activating the normal access procedures I (we) were not able to activates that feature.
I lose keyboard and mouse functions after the system goes through the BIOS boot - nothing during MBR - regain mouse and keyboard functions during windows boot. I can access the safe mode screen but there is no key/mouse activity. I have to press and hold the start/power button in order to reboot from this screen.
Here is a link to that of which we attempted and later exhausted as possible remedies. It is in the second half of the below link our troubleshooting of the safe mode takes place.
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...d.php?t=206606

My system is a Dell Dimension 8100 During our attempts I had to replace the MoBo due to a mechanical malfunction/broken ram socket. The replacement board has the latest BIOS A09.

regards,

Chris

Last edited by Glidercj; May 21st, 2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old May 23rd, 2010, 03:37 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
An old PC I once had was unable to run "Safe Mode" but it was able to run "Safe Mode with Networking" which loads networking drivers. However, it doesn't load a firewall so you may want to disconnect from your router/modem before trying it.
Old May 24th, 2010, 12:26 AM

Greeting Pip22,

It is a little disturbing/funny at that, I could run it before but now after being infected with malware I can not. The main reason it that I lose keyboard and mouse functions after the BIOS boots and they return as windows loads.
Also I did a little web searching and found that I could access it through a backdoor method. The instructions were to access it through the run/msconfig/boot.ini and check safe mode box. Reboot the computer and it will start up in safe mode. It looked perfectly normal to me however Jintan felt it was no safe to access it that way.
Basically if I try doing it in the normal fashion - boot press F8 the computer does go into the F8 screen showing the safe mode option however I have to keyboard nor mouse functions to chose the safe mode option.
Do you have an answer for those questions?

Regards,
Chris