Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 24th, 2010, 10:35 AM

can i connect my home computers with my phone line?

I'd like to connect my not so new (used) laptop to my pc for net acess and file sharing? is this possible? with only a phone line to connect them?
Old February 24th, 2010, 01:02 PM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake_e_lee1984 View Post
I'd like to connect my not so new (used) laptop to my pc for net acess and file sharing? is this possible? with only a phone line to connect them?
First of all the laptop must have built-in wireless, or a USB wireless adapter, or an ethernet port. It likely won't have built-in wireless but it should have a USB port to which you can fit a USB wireless adapter, and it will probably also have an ethernet port (if you don't want to use wireless). An ethernet port on a laptop looks like an oversized phone/modem jack, as in the second port from the left in this picure: http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/6116.jpg
The picture conveniently shows it next to the phone/modem jack so you can see the difference, but not all laptops have them next to each other.

Then you need a wireless router which connects to a DSL-activated phone line.
You then connect the laptop to the router either wirelessly or by using the laptop's ethernet port. Then connect any other computers to the router either wired or wirelessly. Obviously if using the laptop's ethernet port instead of a wireless connection, the router and laptop need to be close enough to each other, determined by the length of the ethernet or CAT5 cable.

A wireless connection, however, would give you the freedom to move your laptop around the house and still access the net on it, or for networking between computers in different rooms.

The above setup will give net access to all computers connected to the router, independently of each other (in other words, each computer will have net access without any of the other computers having to be switched on). You can also share files between computers that are actually switched on, but only after you've gone through and completed the 'Network Setup Wizard' on each of them. For Windows XP, that's explained here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...p/homenet.mspx

Last edited by pip22; February 24th, 2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: additions