Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old July 19th, 2007, 01:53 AM

Motherboard Replacement

An employee of mine had an Emachine (I know ) that she said just stopped working. She said it just shut off while she was on the internet, and it never turned on again. She took it to a computer shop and said it was the Mobo and wanted $300+ to repair. So she asked me to look at it. Its a Celeron Socket 478 with 2 sticks of ram, 256 and 512. Standard IDE CD Drive and HD with a floppy. Integrated Video and Sound. So I ordered a new Mobo from compgeeks.com (An Asus Socket 478, same chipsets) and swapped it in. Got everything hooked up, booted it, and there was no video out. It was running, but no video signal. So I powered it down, took off all everything but the Power Supply to Mobo connections, the Ram sticks and the CPU and Fan. I tried booting and nothing, no power or anything. So I hooked it to a known good powersupply. It turned on, with still no video, so I shut it off, and it wont turn on again. I tried everything and it just won't go.

Just wondering if you guys think I got a dead Mobo or something funky is going on, I never experienced this and I've built a bunch of computers.

Her original system was an Emachines T2542. It had 256MB of RAM with a 512 upgrade put in.

The motherboard I used is an Asus P4GV-MX/S from compgeeks.com http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...X-BULK&cpc=SCH

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old July 19th, 2007, 03:16 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Take the board out of the case and lay it on something nonconductive, like the antistatic bag it came in or a sheet of cardboard. Connect the power supply and the video card. If you get endless beeping, the board is fussing at you for no memory. Then verify that the standoffs match the mounting holes in the MB.
If you get nothing, you probably got a bad board. Is that one of CompGeeks 'system pulls'?
Note that if you get past the POST, the computer will probably not boot into Windows 'cause Windows will see all kinds of different hardware and get seriously confused.
HTH,
Old July 19th, 2007, 05:20 AM

WAIT! Avoid sitting the motherboard on the anti-static bag if you are going to apply power. Many anti-static bags have a conductive coating on the outside of the bags and are designed to keep any static discharge on the exterior (skin) of the bag, away from the sensitive devices inside. If you sit the motherboard on one of those type bags and apply power, you may short out the whole motherboard, and destroy the CPU and RAM at the same time. Anti-static bags are designed for storage and transport, not maintenance.

Use the motherboard box, a wooden cutting board, or piece of cardboard. Don't sit it on carpet. A varnished table top/dining table is not a good idea either as varnish conducts too.

You can use those bags to place your other sensitive components (CPU, RAM, cards, etc.) in while working on the motherboard, or you can cut them open and place the items on the interior surfaces, as that is the anti-static side of those bags. The pink and blue transparent bags do not need to be cut open.

You will actually see many references suggesting you can use the bag under the motherboard when mounting RAM, and the CPU. Most of the time that is fine, as long as you DON'T apply power. But I think it is a bad habit to get into as you might forget, and apply power. If you do regular maintenance, you really should invest in a good anti-static pad or matting.