Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old July 18th, 2007, 05:10 AM

Please Help: PC Reboots itself

Expert please help me!!!

The past few days I've been having problem with my PC. It keeps rebooting itself after the system boots up, usually when I use the internet for about ~2min or less, browse through folders in my hard drive. I've tried to reinstalling Windows and the problem still occurs.

System configuration:
box: 420W
Mobo: ECS 848P-A rev2
Processor: P4 3.0 Ghz
Graphic: ATI all wonder 9600
HD: Seagate IDE 160G - cleared all data
DVD: NEC 3500A

Please let me know what I can do to fix this problem? Are th๊re any programs that I can try?
Old July 18th, 2007, 05:28 AM

Just to clarify:
Does the system only reboot once the OS has loaded? Or does the problem also occur when your in eg: BIOS setup.
Old July 18th, 2007, 08:32 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
The weird thing is, I also get these problems, and for me, I suspect it could be one of 2 things - the power supply, or faulty RAM. My machine reboots a lot of the times after I close the CD Tray, or while the CD drive is running. If you suspect it could be faulty RAM, run memtest for a while and see if it gives your errors.
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuen47 View Post
I suspect it could be one of 2 things - the power supply, or faulty RAM. My machine reboots a lot of the times after I close the CD Tray, or while the CD drive is running.
What if you remove the both the power & IDE cables to your CD drive, does the computer reboot then?
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:39 AM

I think it still would, because some of the times it reboots out of nowhere, while the cd drive is doing nothing at all. I'm chatting on MSN, and it just reboots, no warning at all, and I'm stumped. I just noticed I had a lot of trouble when I was installing windows, becase I never got very far, and before long while it was copying files from the disc, it just rebooted. And I just kept retrying the install again and again until one time where I got lucky and the copying of files went the whole way without the computer rebooting.
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:47 AM

If the problem is occurring everytime you play with it, I would try removing the drive; just to isolate the problem more.
I take it your not getting any errors popping up before the reboot occurs.
Try going into System Properties -> Advanced Tab -> Startup and Recovery Options -> Settings and under System failure, untick 'Automatically restart'.

Next time when your system freezes, you'll get an error which will specify the cause of the problem.
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:52 AM

Hmm thanks, but I don't think it's anything to do with windows at all, and removing the cd drive is a good way of isolating / removing a possibility of a problem. I actually plan to replace it with a DVD writer, seeing how cheap they are nowadays anyway, and a CD drive has little use now.

When it reboots though, it's not a slow windows reboot thing, it's like someone pulled the power cord on the machine and plugged it back in immediately sort of reboot...which leads me to believe it's a hardware issue, possibly overheating, but I'm not sure what safe temperatures for my motherboard (MS-6547 Ultra-C) are. They are higher than my CPU, but my CPU temps are relatively safe too (45 C). Otherwise, all my RAM tests have shown up blank so far, they seem to be ok.
Old July 18th, 2007, 09:58 AM

Best to focus on one thing at a time. Try removing the CD drive and let us know how you go.
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:13 AM

Yuen47 - Start your own thread if you have a problem, Don't hijack someone elses.

This thread was made by nlnvcd who hasn't even replied yet, Now they will come back to someone elses problems.. It gets darn confusing trying to help 2 people at once in the same thread when the causes can be 2 completely different things!
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:15 AM

haha yes sorry about that, I mean to try to help nlnvcd with my own experiences, but I ended up getting help myself
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karabin View Post
Just to clarify:
Does the system only reboot once the OS has loaded? Or does the problem also occur when your in eg: BIOS setup.
The system reboots when OS has loadded successfully. It never roboot when I'm in the BIOS setup.

Thanks for asking
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuen47 View Post
The weird thing is, I also get these problems, and for me, I suspect it could be one of 2 things - the power supply, or faulty RAM. My machine reboots a lot of the times after I close the CD Tray, or while the CD drive is running. If you suspect it could be faulty RAM, run memtest for a while and see if it gives your errors.
I've let Microsoft memory scan, ran last night and no error was there. I don't think the problem was the CD tray, because I've unplugged the CD driver out just in case that was the problem, but it still reboot itself.
Old July 18th, 2007, 06:54 PM

I've tried turning off the automatice restarting system. I did notice that sometimes I get a blueescreen with error code 0xD1 and 0x0A. Now these error code happens very random meaning sometimes I'll see it sometimes I don't. (One error at the time never two error codes at once). I've checked error code 0xD1 it was something with the driver. and the other one i'm not really sure.

I am open to advices, because I'm running out of ideas to debug this problem

Thanks in advance
Old July 19th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I've checked error code 0xD1 it was something with the driver. and the other one i'm not really sure.
Try launching windows using safe mode. If it doesn't halt then one or more drivers may be corrupt or not suitable. Try safe mode first to be sure, then you might want to update to the latest drivers for your m/b etc.