Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old March 20th, 2003, 04:36 PM

connect 2 computers using modem over phone lines

Hi gang, I am a New Member with very basic question so be gentle.

I would like to connect my computer to a friends in the same city using normal phone lines and modem. I remember in the "old"days" your computer would dial their phone number and you could then initiate a transfer of data. Can you still do this and what type of connection is it, is there any freeware software that I need, and what search words would I use on Google to find more info about it on the net.

Thanks
Old March 20th, 2003, 05:19 PM

O/S: MacOS
You just want to be able to transfer files back and forth?

Use FTP.

www.ftpx.com is the only free FTP Client I know of. Of course you wil each need to set up an FTP Server as well. I don't know of any free FTP Servers apps right off the top of my head, Google it. I use Bulletproof for both client and server. Also, if you are on dialup or dsl, you'll want a dns service to locate your ip. A free dns service is @ www.no-ip.com.

If you want to chat and transfer files, you can use any of the following and probably a lot more:

AIM
AOL Instant Messenger
Yahoo! Instant Messenger
Old March 21st, 2003, 05:47 AM

Thanks for your help I will digest and investigate the info you have given. I keep a small collection of older versions of freeware programs that are not longer available or newer versions are adware that I would like to share with friends.
I am assuming that FTP would be the way to go or would you recommend (as others have suggested) that I setup a free webpage for myself and store them there.
I am still interested in the Ftp transfer process will look on Google for more info

Thanks for your time & help

Regards