Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old February 28th, 2003, 03:37 AM

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Old Norton Antivirus

I tried to load the Norton Anti Virus I had with Win 95 and XP told me there was an issue and I couldn't (or shouldn't) install it. I didn't. I want to know if I can run it from my other hard drive. I think the issue was something with the system files. If I run it from my old hard drive, will it load those files from win98 to XP or will it fust run from where it's at? And if it runs, will it protect all? This is all new to me.

Thanks, Lou
Old March 1st, 2003, 03:25 PM
CTH Subscriber

WHat version of Nortons do you have? I think it is Nortons 2002 that is the first that is XP compatible. (I dont use nor do I keep up with Nortons) So I can't remember the exact Version....

If it is an old version, then it wont work and you could do damage to Windows by trying to use it.
Old March 1st, 2003, 07:43 PM

Thanks, it's version 4.0. I'm just going to break down and buy the 2003 version. One thing that's a bummer is that I got in when you didn't have to pay the annual fee for the updates. So I've been updating my virus defenitions since 12/97 for free. I guess those freeby days are over. It was great though!
Old March 1st, 2003, 10:05 PM
CTH Subscriber

Yeah, there's not much for free anymore. THere is a free AV though. Many people love you. You may want to give it a try.

AVG Anti Virus
Old March 2nd, 2003, 07:40 PM

Hi Dodge, I'm sorry I know this isn't the right place but I would like to say that AVG isn't a good AV. I would just like to say that on my old system I ran it as a stand a lone and got a virus that really messed up my old system. AVG never found the virus. I downloaded and ran Avast!4 and it found the virus. What I'm trying to say is Avast!4 is a better AV. But you kinow the saying "you get what you pay for".
Old March 3rd, 2003, 04:42 AM

I was always happy with my NAV. I ordered it from Newegg.com for $17, $5 for shipping. I get 1 free year of updates. I'll just be thankfull for all the free ones I got while a lot of people were paying. Thanks for the help and suggestions I really appreciate all the people here who lend a hand! It's rough when your new. I basically know enough to be dangerous .

Thanks again, Lou
Old March 3rd, 2003, 04:55 AM
CTH Subscriber

I agree, you get what you pay for. I have had 3 virus's on my computer. One JSseeker, one varient of the Seeker, and klez(which didn't actually exacute)

The first two were never detected by any installed AV. I was using Inoculate at the time. I ran Housecall and it foung the virus. So before attempting to use anything to remove it, I decided to run a test on a few programs. First was to make sure they were all updated. Then I ran Inoculate, Nortons, and McAfee AV's. None of them detected the virus's...

So that told me that none of the AV's were really worth having since they wouldn't detect the only Virus's I had gotten.

So basically, I dont put much faith in AV's anyways.

I tried out AVG and I didn't like the way the program was designed, but many people love it.

Never heard of Avast, I'll give them a looksie.... Thanks for what you posted..

LLMC, glad you found what you wanted. Goodluck with it.
Old March 4th, 2003, 05:35 AM

2 things

What is Housecall?

I had 3 or 4 viruses come through email and Norton stopped all but one. It is still scary to see the warning come up. But it's better than not and the virus getting through. Again, thanks for all the help, support and encouragement.

Lou
Old March 4th, 2003, 06:38 AM
CTH Subscriber

One thing to remember is that updates to the virus definitions will not be as current as one might think. Symantec will stop issuing virus definition updates about a year after the initial product release. If my memory serves me correctly, version 4 came out in 1999 or there abouts. Norton 2002 is actually version 8.x. Thus, I highly doubt any new updates have been made available for it for quite some time. I highly recommend installing the latest version of Norton if your going to continue using it.