Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old August 20th, 2006, 01:30 AM

Bios Not Working, Computer not Starting

Ok, here's the deal.. I boot my computer up, i get a CMOS Checksum error - Defaults loaded. I try to go into Bios by pushing Delete but the screen turns black and the screen power light flickers on and off. If i push F1 to continue, i get the boot menu and all of the options load for like 1 second and then restart the computer.

I would REALLY appreciate some help, need this computer working fast

Thanks,
dukii
Old August 20th, 2006, 03:05 AM

O/S: Windows 98 SE
Couple of things

When did the problem start?

What occurred, did you do prior to the failure?

Have you tried resetting the BIOS via the jumper or removing the battery?
Old August 20th, 2006, 09:14 AM

The problem started as i tried starting the computer up for the first time.

Yes, i've tried pushing the CMOS button to reset it, but i can't get ahold of the battery to get it out.
Old August 20th, 2006, 02:42 PM

O/S: Windows 98 SE
If this is a new system
and
This is the first time you tried to get it up

You have a defective motherboard

or you need to 'clear' the BIOS

The 'Clear' for the BIOS will be a 'jumper' on the motherboard. You will either move it from one set of pins to another set or install it. Let it set for a few minutes, move it back to its original location or remove it. Then try booting the system.

You should only remove the 'button' battery (CMOS Battery) when the system is powered off and unplugged.
There is a small metal tang on the side holding it in, use a small screwdriver to move it out of the way.
Old August 20th, 2006, 08:29 PM

I got some tips from some friends and they told me flashing the Bios may work. I got the bios flashed, but nothing happened, still got the same errors. One thing i still have to do is get the battery out, see if that works.. If not i guess i'll send the motherboard back in to the place i bought it from.
Old August 20th, 2006, 09:47 PM

Just did something called Memtest on my ram, i had 550000 errors after 5 minutes of testing it i THINK it may be the ram there's something wrong with
Old August 21st, 2006, 01:27 PM

Found out that one of my RAM had a problem so i'm only using one of them now. The Bios i can get into, but if i try installing windows i get a bluescreen after i'm done loading all the setup files. Any help i can get is greatly appreciated.