Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old April 14th, 2006, 03:03 PM

Question Error Message on start up/blank screen - help please!

Good Morning!
Hi All! Hey, I have a problem. Hope someone can help! Last night when I shut computer down, all seemed fine. This morning, when I turned on the power, it went almost immediately to an error screen (all black except for error box). The errors read, “Services.exe – Application error. The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click OK to terminate the application.”
When I did click “OK”, a second error box came up that was exactly like the previous on, except that at the top of the box the error read, “LSASS.exe – Application error”. The rest of this error read the same as the previous one. When I clicked that one, the errors repeated themselves one more time, then it goes to a blank screen and will not let me do anything. I reset the power button and tried to go into safe mode, but it gives the same error and does the same thing. Any ideas as to what is going on?
By the way...when i shut down the computer for the night, I normally hit the "shut down" button, and then turn off the monitor while the updates are being applied and walk away from the computer as it takes a few minutes to shut off. I have Windows XP professional, and they apply the updates automatically before the computer shuts down. I did not look to see what the updates were yesterday.
When i turned the power on, I got as far as the opening XP windows and never got to the user sign in window...the errors came up. I cannot get into anything at all except my setup...even the safe mode will not work. Under safe mode, the 4 "safe mode" words will come up at the 4 corners of the screen, but the screen remains blank and the error messages come up. After I click "ok" four times (2 times for each error message) the screen remains blank and nothing happens.
I do use an antivirus and spyware detector. Can anyone help me get my computer back!
Thank You!
Desperate!
Mike Black
Old April 14th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Banned

Could be coincidence but it sure sounds like an Update whacked your system.
You should be able to do this XP repair but note you need to go into setup first and be certain the cdrom boots in order before the hard drive.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
Old April 15th, 2006, 04:28 AM

Error Message on start up

Rich M,
I will not have time until Monday to do the restore the link told me to do. Since I cannot even get to the log in screen before the error messages appear, I cannot access windows at all to back up my files and other items on my c drive. So I am going to attempt to remove my hard drive and slave it to another computer with a cd-rw and to copy all the files that way...so I have them incase the reinstall of xp destroys them on my current hd. Will this work?
I will let you know how it all turns out this comming week. Thanks again for your help!
Sincerely,
Mike Black
Old April 15th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Banned

Repair will not hurt any files or data, but it is still a good idea to backup whay you have first if possible.