Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows 98

Notices

Windows 98 Problem solving for the Windows 98 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 31st, 2015, 06:34 PM

Dial-Up Networking update for Win98se

Anybody know why the Dial-Up Networking update for Win98se (Q285199) won't execute without blowing up? I've tried running it half a dozen times but about 3/4ths of the way thru I get a "rundll32 has caused a general protection fault in commctrl.dll. This program will now close" message. Am I supposed to remove the previous version first? The previous version is the one that comes with 98se that you install from the Add/Remove Programs - Windows Setup tab. One thing that does occur to me is that part of this update replaces the rnaapp.exe file which is a program that is an active process while 98se is running. Not sure but I thought updates know how to handle this and are usually renamed and deleted by an ini file during reboot. I use an install tracking program and what I see is the preparation for this. There is a file named rnaapp.001 that is always left hanging after the blowup. It might be that because of the blowup it never finishes and reboots. Not sure what's going on here. And without installing this update I can't install the later update (Q329168) which fixes a problem with TTL = 0 multicast packets. Any help appreciated.

Last edited by justacruzr2; December 31st, 2015 at 06:37 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old January 16th, 2016, 10:55 PM

If you have the update on your PC (and not trying to install it directly from the update site), why don't you try installing from safe mode (most of them are available for offline installation). Since safe mode requires a lot fewer drivers and services maybe it will work. Not all executables will run from safe mode. If I remember correctly the msi installs won't go cause the installer isn't available in safe mode.