Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > The Anything Else Board

Notices

The Anything Else Board This board has been designed for all those subjects that don't quite fit in any of the other categories, and is also a place to share ideas and knowledge that you think might prove valuable to our other visitors

Topic Tools
Old October 26th, 2005, 02:22 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Is Windows 64 really worth it?

I just upgraded my box to a Dual core Athlon and other prizes and I've re-installed Windows XP Professional. Now after all that chaos, I decided to look into Windows 64bit.

My question is, is the thing really worth it? Would I see performance differences, or better CPU management with it than with WinXP pro?
Old October 26th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

Others will give more info than I can, but I believe for now there's not a huge difference. In the future, tho, with the advent of Vista and a lot of vendors getting on-board the 64-bit platform,....well, it's the wave of the future.
Old October 26th, 2005, 03:31 PM

It really depends on what you're doing. Video/audio processing; maybe, but only if ALL the software/drivers involved are optimised for 64-bit. Gaming; no. The problem is, if software were to be made to take advantage of 64-bit processors, it wouldn't run on 32-bit CPUs.

In the future, when a sizable majority of the market runs 64-bit CPUs, only then will developers make the switch. Until then, what we need to see is the larger companies putting out two versions of their software: one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit, in the same way a lot of companies release CD or DVD versions.
Old October 26th, 2005, 03:58 PM

That answers my question then. Thanks