Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Malware Removal

Notices

Malware Removal Discussion about Trojans, viruses, hoaxes, firewalls, spyware, and general Security issues. If you suspect your PC is infected with a virus, trojan or spyware app please include any supporting documentation or logs

Topic Tools
Old December 11th, 2004, 07:18 PM

Are my personal files really deleted from my office computer?

I hope someone can give me the definitive answer to this. I have recently seperated from a job and have concerns that although I took all of my personal files and email files and then deleted them from the computer that my boss could still have access to them.
Old December 11th, 2004, 07:25 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
In what way did you remove them? What method did you use to get rid of all the information? Unless you formatted the hard drive, I would say that if he was determined enough, he could dig up a small portion of the things you attempted to remove, but I wouldn't worry too much if you feel you did a good job. What types of files did you have that you don't want him to have access to? Emails, text documents...?
Old December 11th, 2004, 07:33 PM

I copied my files onto a CD and then deleted them and emtied the recycle bin. that's it. The files I'm concerned about are work that I have authored and don't want anyone else profitting from and emails related to that work as well as personal internet activity. Normally I would not be this paranoid but they have had some other security issues and may be conducting a search on all of their computers.
Old December 11th, 2004, 07:41 PM
CTH Subscriber

Unfortunately, if your boss was persistant and dedicated enough, he could most likely find a way to access those files. Don't quote me on this, as I do not know your situation entirely, or exactly what you did to remove the files you removed, but it sounds to me that there would still be remains that contain more information than you would like.

Can you talk to your former boss about this and ask that the hard drive be formatted?
Old December 11th, 2004, 07:55 PM

Thanks. I suspected as much. Since my work is registered I do have legal protection as well, so I hope that he is as ethical as he claims.
Old December 11th, 2004, 07:57 PM
CTH Subscriber

Odds are, if he's smart, he'll know to leave your work alone. I don't think anyone in his position would be looking for a lawsuit. I really wouldn't worry if I were you.
Old December 11th, 2004, 08:03 PM

i think your boss can recover your files even it is format with special
softwares but the answer is you should use software that entirely deletes your files example dod (department of defense techniques/methods to wipe out permanent the files).

cheers!
Old December 11th, 2004, 08:05 PM
CTH Subscriber

Yes, but do you still have access to the company computers?
Old December 11th, 2004, 09:42 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDog
Thanks. I suspected as much. Since my work is registered I do have legal protection as well, so I hope that he is as ethical as he claims.
whether or not your work is registered, it is on company computer and if any of it was done on company time then the work could legally belong to the company. That said, after a discharge, most employers will not bother with what was deleted unless there was some illegal activity thats being looked into.