Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old November 8th, 2019, 04:25 PM

Unwanted Notices

Win 7; no brand computer. I believe it is an i3.

I am starting to get pop up notices in two categories: one from no charge software that I use (such as AVG) soliciting me to buy the paid version or at least update what I have so I can get solicited at its website, and another from a website I visited once, obviously with advertising, which thank goodness has not been of the NSAW variety.

I have been unable to prevent it, and the AVG pop up actually costs me because my computer won't go to sleep until I do something with the ad. The AVG pop up occurs even if I am not using the Internet (though I am attached all the time).

As this happened without being on the web, I figured that it had something to do with processes or services, with no avail. AVG won't let you turn off its service; the website seems to have left no trace of how to shut it down.

The other thought I had was that this had something to do with cookies, so I wiped them on each of my browsers (firefox, chrome) and again with cCleaner, and that did not seem to help either.

What is the next step? I guess I could remove AVG and install something else and see what happens, but that is pretty drastic since AVG otherwise is about the best virus protection I have used, paid or unpaid. And I guess I could find a more comprehensive cookie cleaner, if I knew where to find one.

And as I write this, Avast just sent me a pop up on my Win 10 HP Elite Book laptop, and I was prohibited from stopping any services or processes whose name seemed to suggest it had a bearing on this, presumably opening the door to unlimited pop ups anytime I use the damn thing, such as when I am watching a movie or typing up my work.

Any thoughts?
Old November 8th, 2019, 05:50 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
If you're running Windows 7, it has it's own AV program called Microsoft Security Essentials. Most if not all the reply/answers you will get, will tell you that you don't need a "third party" anti virus program, and that Microsoft Security Essentials is all that you need on a Windows 7 PC. It runs in the background, takes up very little space, and shouldn't be giving you any pop ups, unless to tell you that you have a problem.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...s.aspx?id=5201
Old November 9th, 2019, 09:46 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
  • Select the AVG icon in the system tray then select “Open AVG“.
  • Select “Options” located at the upper-right corner of the window.
  • Choose “Advanced Settings…“.
  • Select “Appearance” on the left pane.
  • Uncheck “Display system tray notifications“.
  • Select “OK” once you’ve made desired changes and you should now be free of these annoyances when using your computer

It is a good one and agree with Lufbra MS Security Essentials is also good and free.
Old November 11th, 2019, 10:46 PM

Maybe I have a different version but those steps did not work for my setup. I did not have an "advanced settings" tab nor did I have "appearance." I did fool around with some of the regular level settings and perhaps that helps.

I was unable to activate the Microsoft house version of a virus protector; dunno why.

I'm still thankful and hoping for the best.
Old November 13th, 2019, 01:38 AM

Activating Microsoft Security Essentials can be difficult when you already have a Virus protector installed. I would just stick with AVG, it is a good one for Windows 7.

To tell which version of AVG you have;

Open AVG Internet Security, click on Menu>About

Try this:

Open AVG user interface and go to Menu>Settings
(You can open it either from the desktop Icon or the Tray Icon)

Ensure GENERAL is selected in the left panel, then select Notifications

Tick the box next to USE SILENT MODE and TURN OFF all POP-UPS, alerts and messages.

Hit CLOSE.
Old November 13th, 2019, 04:21 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Murf, would that one (and also Avast) be good for Windows 10? Just asking for future reference.
Old November 18th, 2019, 07:35 PM

Windows 10 has its own built in which is just as good as any commercial one. I use it, does a great job. It also includes Ransonware protection. It is called;

Windows Defender Antivirus