Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old June 7th, 2019, 02:45 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Video card

Should the video card get hot? After my machine is on for about an hour it freezes up and makes a grinding sound.

Thanks
kuzzz
Old June 7th, 2019, 03:40 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
NO! Run this and see what the temp is of the Video Card. The CPU temperature should play around 75-80 degrees Celsius when gaming. When the computer is doing small processes or in an idle state, it should be around 45 degrees Celsius to a little over 60 degrees Celsius at most.

http://www.gputemp.com/

Does your video card have a fan? Could that be the grinding noise?
Old June 8th, 2019, 04:30 AM
CTH Subscriber

I've installed it so I'll keep an eye on it right now it is running at 46.5 C but I just powered up the pc. No my graphic card does not have a fan. I'll let you know if the temp goes up.

kuzzz
Old June 8th, 2019, 03:37 PM

What is the card brand and model number? GPUs do tend to get hotter than CPUs. Some are still perfectly stable at 90°C or even hotter - but just thinking about that make me uncomfortable.

Since your card does not have a fan (which suggests it is not a monster gaming card) it relies on a good flow of cool air through the case - and setting up case cooling is your responsibility.

What do you have for case cooling? I generally recommend at least one large (120mm or larger) intake fan in front, and one large fan in back exhausting heated air out. These do not include the power supply fan.

Is the case interior (and the graphics card heat sink) clean of heat trapping dust? While in there looking, inspect the case to see if you can add another fan or replace what you have with larger fans. You can generally tell if it accepts larger fans as there will be 4 screw holes just a bit out from the 4 existing screw holes used to mount the current fans. The next common size up from 120 is 140mm. That may not sound like much but a typical 140mm fan can move a lot more air and typically while spinning at a lower RPM too. And that generally means less fan noise - always a good thing.

Quote:
and makes a grinding sound.
That is not good but confusing too. The graphics card should not be making any grinding sound if it does not have a fan. A grinding sound suggests motor bearings are worn. It also means that motor is likely to seize in the near future. Not good.

So you need to pinpoint the source of that grinding noise. This can be difficult as sounds tend to resonate and echo through PC cases. Using a paper towel tube as a stethoscope can help isolate the sound. Putting your finger on the center hub of a spinning fan for just a second will change the rotation speed of the fan and that will change the pitch of the fan noise. This method might also help identify the source of the grinding noise.

Hopefully, it is a fan (easy and inexpensive to replace) and not a drive motor. How's your data backup status?

@Murf - perhaps this thread should be moved to the Hardware forum?

Last edited by Digerati; June 8th, 2019 at 03:38 PM. Reason: added note to Murf
Old June 8th, 2019, 07:39 PM

I agree with, Digerati.
This should be moved to Hardware.

And yes kuzzz, you had better hope that the sound is just a fan failing, and not your Hard Drive.

Either way, make a backup of your drive just in case.
{Or at least backup the important files you want.}

Signed: Ensign Tzap
Old June 9th, 2019, 07:18 PM
CTH Subscriber

I have a 10" fan at the top of my pc and a 7" fan on the bottom along with the fans you mentioned. I installed the software and the numbers matched up with the ones that the software said were good. I have 2 external HD's that I keep my backups on. It hasen't happened again so I can't see where the grinding is coming from. Thanks for all the help. If it happens again I'll do your suggestions and let you know what I find out. Hopefully it was a glitch.

kuzzz
Old June 9th, 2019, 09:54 PM

"Grinding" is not a word that easily identifies the source. A fan blade scraping a cable wire might sound like a grinding noise too. So checking your cable management next time you are in there might be a good idea.