Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 10

Notices

Windows 10 Problem solving for the Windows 10 Operating System.

Topic Tools
Old April 30th, 2018, 12:34 AM

Update Shenanigans ... Again!

Windows 10 Home Desktop (x64)
LENOVO 90BG003JUS Lenovo H50-55
AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7
ST2000DM001-1ER164 [Hard drive] (2000.40 GB)
11212 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Every-time an update is rolled out I have major problems!

The last time it took me six months of searching, posting to forums and finagling to straighten it all out!
(The last update messed up my display settings)

This time is different but I fear .. it is going to be another six month adventure!

If you can see the following screen shots clearly then you can see that I have a problem!?

You'll notice the Awaiting Restart in the second screenshot?
I have tried restarting the computer (As it claims is needed) which accomplishes absolutely nothing!

That Awaiting Restart stays there and I am convinced that it is only there to "Drive Me Nuts"!
(I finally learned my lesson after the 8th or 9th 'restart!')

I've tried just about every tool known to help with these types of problems without success.
Any help will be much appreciated!

Should I delete all of these 'updates' and start anew?
(Will that help?)

I also receive this message when I run the troubleshooter which says that it (the troubleshooter) can't fix it ...
Quote:
Potential Windows Update Database error detected
Downloaded Updates:

==================================

I just ran the windows update assistant.
My understanding is that if you have the latest update and it is running ... the tool will say "Thank You" and show no other updates?

Does that only mean that the update has been successfully downloaded but not necessarily installed?

I ask because as you can see in my screenshot below that I got the "Thank You" from the assistant but my update page still shows the "awaiting restart" to install update!?

I am totally confused??

Assistant Result

Old May 2nd, 2018, 11:58 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
1] Run System File Checker

To runSystem File Checker, you need to open Command Prompt with Administrative privilege. To do this, search for cmd in Taskbar search box, right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator. Now you need to enter this command and hit Enter: Sfc /scannow

This scan will replace all corrupted or damaged Windows operating files. Once the scan is over, restart your computer.

2] Run DISM

The Dism.exe tool can be used in different situations, and one of them is to repair a corrupted Windows update files. Do note that you need to run a different command if you want to repair corrupted Windows Update System Files. If you run the usual /RestoreHealth command, if may not necessarily help. DISM will replace potentially corrupted or missing system files with good ones. However, if your Windows Update client is already broken, you will be prompted to use a running Windows installation as the repair source or use a Windows side-by-side folder from a network share, as the source of the files.

Run: DISM/Online/Cleanup-Image/checkHealth (hit <enter>)

It will tell you if there is corruption.

You will then be required to run the following command instead:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
Here you have to replace the C:\RepairSource\Windows placeholder with the location of your repair source.

Once the process is complete, DISM will create a log file in %windir%/Logs/CBS/CBS.log and capture any issues that the tool finds or fixes.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-u...ndows-10-image