Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Windows 8 Problem solving for the Windows 8 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old July 12th, 2013, 11:40 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
How to get rid of pre installed Norton

Hello ,

My new Lenovo E530 ThinkPad Win8 x64 came with a pre installed trial version of Norton Security suite..
I know its hard to get rid of it completely , have looked at the Norton removal tools , but most only work on 32 bit versions. Any ideas/tips would be much appreciated !

Thanks in advance..
Old July 12th, 2013, 05:38 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Remove through Control Panel:

1. Right click in the screens bottom-left corner and choose the Control Panel from the pop-up menu.

2. In control Panel choose Uninstall a Program from the Programs category

The Uninstall or Change a Program window appears, listing your currently installed programs, their publisher, size, installation date, and version number. To free up disk space, click the Installed On or Size column header to find old or large programs. Then uninstall those forgotten programs you never or rarely use.

3. Click the program and then click its Uninstall, Change, or Repair button.
The menu bar above the programs’ names always displays an Uninstall button, but when you click certain programs, you may also see buttons for Change and Repair. Here’s the rundown:
  • Uninstall: This completely removes the program from your PC. (Some programs list this button as Uninstall/Change.)
  • Change: This lets you change some of the program’s features or remove parts of it.
  • Repair: A handy choice for damaged programs, this tells the program to inspect itself and replace damaged files with new ones. You may need to have the program’s original CD or DVD handy, though, because you’ll need to insert it into your computer.
Old July 13th, 2013, 12:34 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Hi Murph, thanks for the response.

I'm quite familiar with add & remove programs , done it a million times on Xp Pro.. but its Windows 8 plus i know lots of people who had trouble after uninstalling , hence my post here.
Most articles i read recommend the Norton removal tool but yet to find one for Win 8 64 bit systems.
Many moons ago i had a computer with McAfee.. still remember the hassle i had removing it & i'm fully aware how tricky Norton can be.. ( from other people's stories.)
No issues with "old unused" programs. its a brand new laptop..
Thanks again ! Cheers pcblues

Old July 13th, 2013, 02:28 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
http://www.windows8appstore.com/wind...15/553484.html