Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 23rd, 2006, 12:25 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0

I'm running XP SP2 with IE 7.0 and have heard I should be running MSXML 6.0 (currently have 4.0 with some 5.0 components), so I went on the Microsoft Download site and found this article...

Microsoft Core XML Services (MSXML) 6.0

... which makes my head spin when I read it. I'm not sure if I should upgrade to 6.0 or not and also not sure if I have the updated version of Windows Installer necessary to do the upgrade. Here's a quote from the above article...

"To install MSXML 6.0 you must have Microsoft Windows® Installer 3.1 (MSI 3.1) or higher on your computer. If you are running Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1) you already have the correct version. For other operating systems you may need to upgrade. Please see the Windows Installer 3.1 knowledge base article for details."

I tried reading the Windows Installer article but it got my head spinning even faster, raising more questions than answers.

Can anyone put this subject into plain English for me? Right now I feel like this guy...

Old December 23rd, 2006, 04:19 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
why do you think you need it? are you having problems? if not, dont even worry about it.
Old December 23rd, 2006, 04:33 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Well Dan...

I hate to admit it but I like to be up-to-date. If there's something bigger and better out there I have to try it. The Microsoft article stated MSXML 6.0 was the next level (comes with Vista) so I couldn't resist... just trying my best to stay one step ahead of the crowd. Since Vista arrives in about a month it's probably a moot point but I love tinkering with my computer. When Vista is released to the public I'll have a whole new set of "problems" to deal with. Can't wait!

Mark