Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 27th, 2005, 09:19 PM

Exclamation Missing Taskbar, Missing Start Button, Missing Desktop Icons

I run SP2 with all the updates. I run Spybot S&D and Avast! Antivirus frequently. I recently upgraded SECRETMAKER (a SPAM/pop-up blocker), which I have been using without problems. My Taskbar, Start button, and Desktop icons disappeared immediately. Right-clicking the screen does nothing. Re-booting brings me back to the wallpaper I use for my desktop. Ctrl+Esc does nothing. Re-booting in Safe Mode does nothing. ScanDisk (from a command prompt) no longer functions. I HAVE RE-INSTALLED MY OS BUT I STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.

My Task Manager still works. Is there anything I can do with it? Can I somehow get into System Restore (and restore my previous settings)?

Old December 27th, 2005, 10:19 PM

try inserting removeable media such as a flash disk, that usually forces back the desktop.
Old December 27th, 2005, 11:06 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Quote:
My Task Manager still works. Is there anything I can do with it? Can I somehow get into System Restore (and restore my previous settings)?
Hi Mike, you should be able to run System Restore but as you have reinstalled XP, I am not sure what restore points will be available. Open Task Manager and go to File > New Task and type:

explorer.exe (or C:\Windows\explorer.exe)

and ok.

Click the the + by My Computer and then go to Tools > Folder Options and make sure that you can view hidden files and folders, uncheck "Hide Extensions for Known File Types" and "Hide Protected Operating System Files".

Continue clicking on the +'s to navigate to the the below file path.

C:\Windows\System32\Restore

Open the Restore folder (doubleclick on it) and look for rstrui.exe. Doubleclick on rstrui.exe and System Restore should open.