Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Windows 8 Problem solving for the Windows 8 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old March 31st, 2016, 02:20 AM

BSOD while watching Netflix

Was watching something on Netflix then PC and mouse froze and PC went to BSOD. After the PC came back up, windows update started installing before the login screen came up so I guess that's why I got the BSOD but I wanted to be sure. I hope it's not because of the display driver. I've been to amd.com to install the latest version and all it's done is give me trouble so I just use the one that windows updates gave me.

Sorry, for some reason, the PC didn't make a mini dump file after the BSOD happened so I can't provide one. So not sure what to do from here without a file.

Last edited by Liz81; March 31st, 2016 at 06:15 AM.
Old April 1st, 2016, 03:11 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Possible, as Windows update was waiting. Try watching again now that it has updated and see if it happens again.

Launch the Windows 8 Event Viewer
To get started with the Event Viewer press Winkey +w, this launches the Search box with the focus on Settings. Now type: "ev" you should see 'View event logs'.
Once the Event Viewer has initialized if you expand 'Windows logs' you can see 'System'.

Check the different logs for the approx. time it BSOD may give you a hint.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 03:18 AM

Looks like it's the display driver. Event viewer said amdkmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered. I've had it with amd. I've tried a clean install using DDU then going to amd.com for a new driver and each time they come out with a revision date, I get a BSOD. Is there really a need for a new revision every single month? That's ridiculous, a revision should last at least several months! I've had to install Crimson Edition 16.1, then some others after that to keep from getting a BSOD. I've tried installing a new display driver from hp's website, which was a different version. No one seems to know which version of AMD I need! Fed up, I used the DDU again and installed windows updates and got 13.301.1001.0 (I think that's Catalyst 14.3) a little over a month ago. To this point since then, no problems except a BSOD the other day and a PC/mouse freeze up when I'm watching something on Netflix. Actually my PC and mouse froze up almost two weeks ago when I was on Netflix but didn't get the BSOD. Probably because I hit the power button since my computer woudln't shut down and I couldn't get task manager to come up. Hasn't happened when doing anything else since Windows updates installed 13.301.1001.0 except when being on Netflix both times. So I kept hoping it was Netflix that was giving me the BSOD this week and the PC/mouse freeze up a couple weeks ago but I don't know. I don't know what display driver is not going to freeze up my PC and mouse or give me the BSOD anymore. Right now, I've avoided using Netflix.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 09:42 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I don't use Netflix, but found this maybe help solve your problem??

http://www.winphonedroid.com/how-to-...s-pcs-laptops/#
Old April 2nd, 2016, 10:27 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
try netflix on another browser and see what happens. I had to do that on my windows computer because it kept locking up. I went from firefox to chrome.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
try netflix on another browser and see what happens. I had to do that on my windows computer because it kept locking up. I went from firefox to chrome.
Lol, first time this happened, it was on Chrome then when it happened again, it was Firefox. So I guess we can eliminate that it's a browser issue.

I was hoping it's not a display driver issue even though in the event viewer it said that amdkmdap stopped responding and has recovered. So I guess that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the driver? I always think something's wrong with the driver if I get an error like that.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 11:55 PM
CTH Subscriber

go into your browser settings and disable hardware acceleration and restart the browser.

One thing, you said your computer is HP, unless you changed out your graphic card, you should only use drivers from HP. Sometimes, though the hardware may have the same model number, there could be minor differences specifically manufactured for hp.

what is the full model number of your computer?
Old April 3rd, 2016, 01:11 AM

Product #: F3E59AA#ABA

I've tried to install the display driver from here already before and the monitor ended up flickering and I got the message that the display driver had stopped responding and successfully recovered.

Last edited by Liz81; April 3rd, 2016 at 01:15 AM.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 01:31 AM
CTH Subscriber

did you try disabling hardware acceleration as I previously suggested?

try hp support assistant. it should have come preinstalled on your computer. if not you can download and install it.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/h...l#.VwBj23UrJpg
Old April 3rd, 2016, 02:44 AM

lol tried HP assistant as well. Can't remember what the problem was but something did happen after that too. In fact, it was a different version from what the HP website had, for some reason.

Doesn't turning off the hardware acceleration mean more work for the CPU like heating the PC? I hear the fan spin a bit loudly often especially when I'm on Facebook and Twitter and wherever there are videos or some kind of animation going on.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 05:00 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz81 View Post
lol tried HP assistant as well. Can't remember what the problem was but something did happen after that too. In fact, it was a different version from what the HP website had, for some reason.

Doesn't turning off the hardware acceleration mean more work for the CPU like heating the PC? I hear the fan spin a bit loudly often especially when I'm on Facebook and Twitter and wherever there are videos or some kind of animation going on.
nope - most likely will not notice a difference.