Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 8

Notices

Windows 8 Problem solving for the Windows 8 Operating System

Topic Tools
Old July 17th, 2013, 09:27 PM

System Restore & chkdsk in Windows 8

I installed Windows 8 into 32-bit and 64-bit computers with two Windows installation disks. The following two problems are present in both computers. It may be that they are all related to the same issue.

1. I can create System Restore points normally, but when I try to restore them normally (Control Panel > System > System Protection > System Restore), it does not restore. But I can restore them by booting into Safe Mode via F8.

I have also tried System Restore the following way: Charms > Settings > Change PC Settings > General > Advanced Startup – restart now > Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > System Restore. The resulting message is “There was a problem. Restart your PC to try again. …something didn’t load correctly…” Error Code 80070490.

My surfing found that that error is associated with update problems, but I have no trouble with updates. I found nothing that addresses my System Restore issue associated with that code.

2. Chkdsk doesn’t complete from the command prompt in the elevated mode, but it completes in Safe Mode.

Any real fixes available? I would appreciate your help. Thank you.

Art