Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old July 18th, 2011, 07:11 PM

Infinite windows load screen rolling into black screen

I'm new to this forum, but i've heard good things about this site. Hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction.

I've had a refurbished dell xps 15-something (nov 2007) for a few years now and haven't seemed to have any issues on it. I use it to browse and occassionally play world of warcraft on it. I took it to my friend's house and when i returned home and tried to start it up it gave me the start up screen that said it was shut down incorrectly to scan the c drive for errors, you know typical screen. I tried to scan the drive but following the windows loading bar, it send me to a lit black screen. Typically it will sit on this screen forever with no cursor, nothing, but very rarely it will flash a blue screen of death VERY briefly and then restart. I tried going into safe mode, but if I get past the windows loading screen it will just sit on the black screen forever. I have tried all the modes in F8, F12, etc. I even tried reloading windows vista on it, but I can never get past that black screen after the loading bar no matter WHAT i do. I'm about to send it in somewhere because I'm running out of options. I've never been able to not restore a lap top via re-installing windows. If anyone has any suggests you'd really make my day because this is extremely frustrating
Old July 27th, 2011, 02:07 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi zbackofen. You could try the suggestions here (they apply to Vista too) but if they dont help, I'm afraid I have no other suggestions aside from taking it into a repair shop.