Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old September 27th, 2009, 06:54 PM

Having problems installing some programs

Well the problem I'm having seems pretty complicated.

I recently just built my computer. I am using a Nforce 750 sli motherboard. I Formatted my computer. Installed windows from a DELL XP SP2 disc,(i am not sure if i need an OEM xp disc.)

Windows installed I installed the graphic card drivers and the motherboard drivers from the cd's provided. I am connected to the internet and here comes the problem. I tried downloading and installing a voice program called Ventrilo. I tried installing it and the error message appeared corrupt installation detected, check source media or re-download. The funny thing is I had no problem installing aol instant messenger, STEAM and Firefox. Tried installing AVG same problem as ventrilo. And with world of warcraft i got the error message Failed to download world of warcraft installer please close all applications and try again.

Then i downloaded the same ventrilo installer from my other pc. Then placed it on my flash drive. Inserted the flash drive into my Newly built pc and ventrilo installed fine.

Ive tried this with windows firewall closed. Tried this with lowest internet security settings. I have reformatted and reinstalled about 3 times. No luck.

One idea I had was there their might be a problem with my C:/windows/temp file.

I'm thinking my solutions maybe to either
Get a hold of a Windows XP oem cd not from dell.
Get a hold of a windows vista cd. use it for 30 days then upgrade to windows 7.

I have also installed the latest nforce drivers which i had to download on my old pc and put onto my flash drive in order to install them on my newly built pc.

I'm just hoping its not a hardware problem. I plan on taking it to a computer repair shop tomorrow but if you have ANY idea what is going on that would amazing.
Old September 27th, 2009, 08:31 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Howdy:

Unfortunately, using the Dell cd was tantamount to piracy. That cd can ONLY be used on the system it came with.

As our Terms of Use do not allow for assisting with those using illegal software, I will be closing this thread.

Your only option now will be to purchase your own version of XP (retail is better than OEM), reformat and re-install.

Murray
Closed Topic