Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old July 14th, 2010, 05:08 PM

hi all

i have been reading all the posts but i still cant fix my issue

i have a toshiba equium laptop

getting the BOOTMGR compressed problem.

i dont have the vista dvd as it came pre installed and i dont know anyone with it.

but my dvd drive was playing up prior to the problem.

any way around this issue

thanks all
Old July 15th, 2010, 07:39 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hi Jeff and welcome. Your laptop should have an option to run a Startup Repair in the Advanced Boot Menu. See here. I dont know if it is exactly the same as booting from the disk though and if not, I'm afraid you will have to take it to a Repair shop
Old July 15th, 2010, 09:58 AM

Thanks for the info

when i turn it on and hold F8

i get a continuos beeping and the same

BOOTMGR compressed message

Old July 15th, 2010, 10:39 PM
CTH Subscriber

I'm sorry Jeff but if you cant access the preinstalled Recovery Environment and your CD Drive is not working, you will have to take your laptop into a Repair shop.
Old August 16th, 2010, 05:19 PM

I had windows vista in my laptop then. I try to install windows 7. But my dvd writter not work properly so I add external dvd writter from usb. I installed it. But finally reboot and get message BOOTMGR is compressed alt+ctrl+del for restart. I can't open windows. So what to do now. Plz help me
Old September 4th, 2010, 09:25 AM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Hi. Sorry
I know this post is old but everytime I try to boot from cd/DVD nothing happens for a minute or so until eventually I says boot manager is compressed again. The keyboard still works so I'm
hitting the any key but with no joy. Any other suggestions?
Old September 6th, 2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnMarie View Post
Hi xtremenorthwest. Try booting from your Vista DVD and click on “Repair your computer”, click on Next and choose Startup Repair. It may take quite a while to complete and you may be asked to reboot several times. You may also be presented with an option to use System Restore during the process. Click Cancel as there is another option that can be used if the repair is not successful.

If the repair doesnt work, you will be presented with a new screen telling you that Windows Could not repair automatically. Click on View advanced options for system recovery and support and then click on System Restore and follow the prompts.

Give it a try and let us know how you get on.
Hi,

Its 2010 and i encountered this "BOOTMGR is compressed" press CTRL ALT DEL to restart. This happened after used filehiipo's update manager to update my software, which i always do w/out any problems until now. Now i've been reading about this and i think that it was caused by one of the drivers for the software not bieng accepted or something. Now i think i need to just rollback or delete the articular sofware which i think is causing the prob, but im not even able to use system restore or indeed anything because when i enter my rescue disc 1, it goes to this message. iv tried following the suggestions below, but i havent had any success. pls help!!! Thanks
Old October 22nd, 2010, 06:38 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
i tried everything, and only what "seattleite" said worked. THANK YOU! wasted so much time trying to figure this shiet out.

WORKED FOR ME

this is how you fix it
get to the command prompt screen and type bootrec /fixboot

also bootrec /fixmbr
for the hell of it
Old December 15th, 2010, 10:52 PM

Talking Work for me

Thanks Seattleite
Work well in windows 7. Put the windows 7 disk in, hit shift F10 for command promt and type your suggestion, in 2second it said fix; reboot and voila!!!!!
Old January 14th, 2011, 09:29 AM

I got the bootmrg is compressed to stop with the recovery vista disk provided my Annemerie but now its asking me to give a product key for a vista ultimate when i had vista basic. How can i get it back to the way it was?
Old January 15th, 2011, 03:41 AM
CTH Subscriber

You cant reinstall Windows with that Recovery Disk. Click on the Repair option in the bottom left hand corner and then follow the instructions that have already been posted in this topic.
Old January 21st, 2011, 11:34 PM

I have a netbook that didnt come with a disck and Im getting this BOOTMGR is compressed
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.
When I do that, it just keeps popping up with the same message.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 12:00 AM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchatter View Post
I have a netbook that didnt come with a disck and Im getting this BOOTMGR is compressed
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.
When I do that, it just keeps popping up with the same message.
Read through this thread and you should find the answer.

I would think (since it is a net book I am assuming that you have no CD/DVD drive) make a recovery disc on a bootable USB drive and use that to fix the problem.
Old January 24th, 2011, 10:08 AM

Was able to create a USB bootmgr. Was able to get files off of the computer. Tried to uncompress, as had read others have done sucessfully. Didn't work. my netbook is pretty much fried. But at least I was able to get the important stuff off.
Old February 10th, 2011, 01:53 PM

hi all to fix that problem u do it like this
[B]reboot with win dvd; on the begining of install press shift+F10; write this- bootrec /fixboot and its done
Closed Topic