Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:19 AM

2 Operating systems

Alright i have a slight problem that i could use some help with..here while back i had a virus that erased my NT loader somehow,so my pc wouldnt boot up..and my pc came with XP Home edition when i bought it but didnt come with the disks..so what i did was installed my XP PRO edition which worked.i got my XP Home edition back with no problems everything in tact but now when i boot up my pc i have to select which operating system i want to boot up..which is a bit annoying so i was wondering if any of you knew how to get the XP PRO OS off my pc so i dont have to keep selecting when my pc starts up..is there an easy way to go about this? i would appreciate any advice anyone could give
Old June 28th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

If you just want to disable the prompt then goto
System properties>Advanced>Startup and Recovery>
You can unckeck to show the list of Operating Systems.
Old June 28th, 2006, 05:12 PM

Awesome..now for future reference how would i go about uninstalling the XP PRO OS?
Old June 28th, 2006, 05:20 PM

If you just used the XP Pro CD to access the Recovery Console then the only thing XP Pro address was an entry in the boot.ini file.

Otherwise,
Did you actually install XP to a different partition?
If so just delete it's folder such as Windows, Program Files, Documents and Settings etc.

If you installed XP Pro over XP Home then you will have problems.
Old June 28th, 2006, 08:46 PM

Yeah i couldnt boot my pc..it was just DOS that gave me an error about the NT loader..so i just installed XP Pro just to see what happened and it recovered everything just have an extra OS on my pc..and im not sure if i installed the XP Pro over the XP Home how would i be able to tell?..alls i know is that i can choose what OS i want to boot up at the begining if i have it turned on..im not even sure how to check if i installed it to a different partition,im computer dumb
Old June 29th, 2006, 10:04 AM

Goto the Startup & Recovery dialogue and click the button to edit the boot.ini file.

Post the contents here.
Old June 29th, 2006, 04:10 PM

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /TUTag=U761J2 /Kernel=TUKernel.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows XP Home Edition (TuneUp Backup)" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /TUTag=U761J2-BAK
Old June 29th, 2006, 05:07 PM

It looks as though you had WinXp Home installed to WINNT folder.

When you installed XP Pro you installed it to C:\Windows

If this is the case then Windows XP is a seperate install but the way you have dome it means that both are using the same Documents and Settings and Program Files folders.

That is a bad setup.

If you want to delete XP then you can boot into XP Home and then delete C:\Windows and remove XP Pro entry from the boot.ini

Code:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect