Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old July 7th, 2011, 07:43 PM

Wireless Adapter Not Found on BOTH Laptops.

Hey everyone. I'm pretty desperate coming here, since no one seems to know what is wrong with my laptops.

Both laptops are running Windows 7 Home Premium.

The story begins with a power surge, which messes up my router. (Which happens to be an Airport Extreme.) Which caused me to reset the router. I configured the router and created a new wireless network.

My desktop PC connects to the router by ethernet, and my two laptops, both a Dell Studio and a Dell Inspiron, connect wirelessly. My Xbox 360 also connects wirelessly.

My desktop PC connects to the router perfectly by ethernet. My Xbox Live also connects perfectly by wireless.

But something interested happened to my laptops.

On both laptops, it is the same problem.

I see the wireless network on the list of connections that my laptop can connect to wirelessly. The signal is excellent, so it tells me I would have no problem connecting to it.

Yet when I try to, on both laptops, it says I cannot connect to the wireless network, and the Intel wifi popup on the bottom right corner of the screen pops up and says 'adapter not found'.

I went on Device Manager and I could see all of my wireless cards under Networking. They are all enabled and nothing seems to be wrong with them. On both laptops, they say they are working properly and nothing seems to be wrong.

If it helps any, both had a windows update right before this happens. But I don't know if it is the problem, because I have system restored with one laptop to a time when I knew it worked, but it still doesn't.

The power DID surge, but one of my laptops wasn't even turned on or connected to the wall when the surge happened, and yet still after the update it too says 'adapter not found'.

I am technically talented, but this is beyond me. Can anyone please help me?
Old July 8th, 2011, 06:48 PM

Hello Bain Striker,

This appears to be a common problem with Intel.

If you haven't already, go into the Network and Sharing Center, click Change adapter settings. You should have a Wireless Network icon listed. With Intel software, there should be an option to let Windows manage the wireless connection. You can try using the built-in options that Windows 7 provides and use the network settings required to connect to the wireless network.

I know with laptops that there is a toggle switch key that turns on/off the wireless feature. You may want to see if this has been turned off. If you wish to continue using the Intel software, you can try reinstalling the software. There is also number of suggested fix on this topic in the Intel community forums, you can check it out below.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireles.../cs-020275.htm

http://communities.intel.com/thread/11787