Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old January 1st, 2005, 05:46 PM

Question Need help with old Emachine

I purchased an Emachine new back in '97 or '98. About 2 years ago I began having 2 different problems with it and eventually gave up & just packed it away in the closet. I would now like to get that PC working for my 2 daughters to use for schoolwork,cd-rom games etc. (it will not be used for internet access)

The first problem is that anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours after turning it on it would power off by itself. Around the same time I started having this problem I noticed that the fan was louder that it normally was before. Every time it powered off I would check the PC to make sure that it was not warm/hot to make sure that it was not overheating but everything appeared to be fine. I have also checked the power cord to make sure that there are not cuts or breaks that would be causing this to happen, but was unable to find anything there either.

My second problem is that this PC seems to be stuck on Safe Mode. I followed the instructions in the user guide to turn off the Safe Mode but nothing seems to be working. I am at a complete loss on this.

I am a single mom and do not have a whole lot of money to spend on this, is there something that I can do to fix these problems???

Please help if you can.

Thank you!!
Old January 1st, 2005, 06:00 PM
Cyber Tech Help Administrator

Happy New Year, and welcome to CTH. I'm moving this over to the Hardware forum, as it'll get good response there.

The intermittant shut-off is likely caused by one of several things - bad RAM (cheap enough to replace if it is), a bad fan in the power supply (again, cheap to replace the whole PS), possibly a bad fan on the CPU heatsink. Knowing old Emachines, I'd suspect the power supply first (likely underpowered, as well).

After 7-8 years, you'd likely get the best results by doing a fresh install of Windows98. Solves a multitude of problems.
Old January 1st, 2005, 10:36 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
also you may need to open the case and blow out all the dust and make sure all cables and card are connected properly.