Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old December 11th, 2014, 10:47 PM

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
BSOD after fresh install

Recently I did a fresh install of Win7 Home Premium 64bit as I had a virus I couldnt shift. Originally I had 32bit installed with 4gb of RAM and thought, while I was doing this fresh install I would upgrade the RAM to 8gb and install a new Kingston 240gb SSD. Now all I get is random BSOD. One moment it will say 'System Service Exeption' and another 'irql_not_less_or_equal and sometimes my screen just turns black and I have to restart. Any ideas?

I have all the latest drivers and have completed all windows updates. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old December 11th, 2014, 11:18 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Is this the motherboard?

Gigabyte GA-H55M S2H Motherboard?
Support for DDR3 2200+/1800/1600/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules

DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800), which you indicate in profile you are using correct?

Did you replace the memory then install and getting the error?

Also that error can be caused by a driver, usually a network one.

If you added memory, then just leave the original in and see if you get the error?
Old December 12th, 2014, 07:33 AM

Yes that is the correct motherboard and yes I fitted the ram and then did the windows 7 installation.

I do have 2 network cards, a pci one which i'm not using but is fitted to the motherboard and a netgear WN121T usb which is in use.

I do still have original RAM and can try that this weekend.

Please note: i did run a memtest86 for about 30-40mins without any errors. Thank you
Old December 12th, 2014, 04:11 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I do have 2 network cards, a pci one which i'm not using but is fitted to the motherboard and a netgear WN121T usb which is in use.

Could be the problem, if not using remove the PCI card and reboot.
Old December 13th, 2014, 10:53 PM

Update: I uninstalled the driver of the internal pci wireless card befrore turning it off and disconnecting it, shortly after this I experienced the BSOD again (I didn't get the chance to even disconnect it).

Something interesting just occured though and could be related to the BSOD's i've been experiencing: I was just this moment converting a video file from an avi to mp4 through WINAVI and a high pitch buzzing noise was coming from inside the case. I took the side of the tower off while still converting and the buzzing seems to be coming from the new SSD (have any of you ever experienced this?) I then checked the box on WINAVI: 'Lower CPU usage' and the noise had dissapeared and when I unchecked it, it came back.

Could this be a power issue? Thanks
Old December 17th, 2014, 09:47 PM

Sorry for the double post (not sure how to 'edit')

Just found out that it wasn't the SSD buzzing, it's the power button (which is situated on the front of the case near the bottom (right in front of the SSD). My mistake!