Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old July 4th, 2011, 12:31 PM

Dual Monitor: Periodic Blank Screen Issue

Hello all,

Not sure weather this belongs in the Hardware or Windows 7 section but here goes. I'm having issues with running a dual monitor setup, in that it works fine some of the time but periodically one of the monitors' screen will be blank. This screen briefly flashes the display when turned on but then goes blank. I know it works as it always shows the boot screens, and as such it seems like it could be a driver or resolution issue. I've tried identifying the graphics card as:

and updating from the website but apparently to no avail. I also did an internet search which suggested unplugging and plugging it back in, but again to no avail. It's strange as sometimes it will work perfectly fine, whereas others it will remain blank. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, and I thank you in advance for your time.

Kind regards.
Old July 4th, 2011, 07:26 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Welcome to CTH

Using one video card for both monitors? Did you set them up in Windows 7?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...tiple-monitors

If one card running 2 VGA cables or 1 VGA and 1 DVI?
Old July 4th, 2011, 08:04 PM

Many thanks for the swift response.

The monitors are 1 large monitor connected using DVI and 1 widescreen monitor linked using VGA and I have set them up using that method. Also use the windows key + p to flick between duplicate and extend the desktop, as this sometimes restores the image on the blank screen. This is why I feel it is a problem in the resolution or another setting.
Old July 4th, 2011, 09:04 PM

In fact, it now appears to have ceased entirely, though it still flickers the display on startup and when I turn the monitor itself off and on.

Last edited by Juliano; July 4th, 2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old July 5th, 2011, 02:29 PM

Old July 5th, 2011, 07:43 PM

Normal flickering when turning monitor on, as it is automatically adjust OSD. Windows is loading resolution on each monitor which can cause a flicker. You have the following resolutions:

1280 x 1024 60Mhz (17inch)

19.3inch is it the same? Can't tell. If you have 2 different resolutions, it will flicker while it is adjusting it.

1280 x 1024 can go to 75 Mhz
1400 x 900 (large monitor) usually 75 Mhz

Which monitor is the "Primary" one?
Old July 5th, 2011, 07:53 PM

It hasn't shown an image at all (barring very brief flicker of the desktop) for a couple of days now. Previously, it was showing the bootup screens at all times, even if not showing the desktop.

The primary one is the widescreen Samsung (VGA connection), and the Digimate (larger) one is the one having issues (with a DVI connection).
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:11 PM

Misunderstood. So no picture on one of the monitors at all? Sorry thought it fixed itself.

Does it get a "No signal" scren?

Is this the DVI one? are you using a VGA to DVI adapter?

Does Windows identify the monitor? Under display settings (Change appearance of your displays), hit Detect then Identify, does number 1 and number 2 come up on the screen?
Old July 5th, 2011, 11:22 PM

It doesn't get a no signal screen, it's on and detected by Windows but has no image. Also, it's DVI into a DVI port, and the other monitor is VGA into a VGA port.
Old July 6th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
What happens if you disconnect the VGA to the Samsung widescreen and only boot up with the Digimate 17" DVI?

Bear in mind it's a 10 year old budget (Digimate? no-name?) screen. It may be dying - backlight could be dead
Old July 6th, 2011, 11:28 AM

It didn't load without the VGA samsung.

Is there anyway of telling weather it is indeed now a knackered monitor, or weather it's a faulty graphics card?
Old July 6th, 2011, 11:48 AM

I know the Samsung doesn't have dual inputs so you can't test the video card DVI output on the Samsung.

Does the Digimate have a VGA input as well as the DVI? If yes, then test using that. If that works then it's a Video card issue. If it doesn't then it's probably the monitor. What model Digimate is it?
Old July 6th, 2011, 12:05 PM

Digimate Model L1918.

Just tried to plug it in via the VGA cable from the Samsung and it appeared to provoke no response. Must just be the screen dying then?
Old July 6th, 2011, 12:19 PM

OK, reason I asked the model was there were a few google results for failed backlights on Digimate 17" TFTs and it sounds like yours has lasted about twice as long as the average life expectancy.

I wouldn't even bother looking into replacement parts, they'd cost more than the value of the monitor itself.
Old July 6th, 2011, 12:24 PM

Yeah seems that I will have to invest in a new monitor.

Any recommendations as to where I should look with a cheap-ish budget?