Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old April 28th, 2006, 03:05 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
dual boot and vista???

I was just reading that dual boot with linux might be a thing of the past when Windows Vista is released. Any word about this in the linux community?
Old April 28th, 2006, 03:53 AM

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Yes, I heard about this some months ago. Microsoft says "it's all for the user's security" but those in the know have said it's an attempt by Microsoft to kill Linux. All the more reason to build your own box and install what you want on it.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:03 PM

awww....man...I was going to do that with XP and Suse. Shoot
Old May 3rd, 2006, 01:45 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 64-bit
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGeek
awww....man...I was going to do that with XP and Suse...
You can dual boot Suse and XP
Old May 6th, 2006, 05:07 PM

ya, I know. I was going to do it with Vista, but it looks like I won't
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:21 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Linux
Well, much as I hate to say it, from what I've been reading, it's good news for IT departments that run Winblows. Everyone knows you can break into a so-called "secure" Microsoft WinNT/2K/XP PC with little more than a bootable Linux CD. They needed to stop that and this sounds like the method. Not all security threats in Windows are on-line. If I have physical access to your XP machine, I can read (and back-up or steal) it all. With this encryption on your Vista volumes, I will have far more difficulty doing so. While that's a pain in the backside for me, it's good news for you if you want to be secure in the knowledge that Windows is keeping your information safe.

It's not going to stop dual-boots but it will stop one O/S getting easy access to the other O/S's filesystem. It has the same effect on an XP/Vista dual boot as it does on a Linux/Vista dual boot (except the Vista install will probably read the XP filesytem natively but I bet it won't read the Linux partitions )
Old May 7th, 2006, 04:59 AM

So, dual-boots will still work? Thats good news! I never knew you could hack into a system using a Linux Boot CD.
Old May 13th, 2006, 10:32 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
I really don't see the point of this. Once physical security is breached, your data is more or less accessible. This won't stop anything, attackers will just have to try a little harder. It will, however, be a nightmare for those who use a Linux distro to recover from a Windows corruption/boot record failure.
Old May 14th, 2006, 08:04 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
We have had a massive increase in the amount of people booting a Knoppix cd and changing the administrator password - easy to resolve, but a b1tch when they start trying to put limewire on a pc that runs part of a production line. Silly buggers haven't worked out that I've got the production pc's on a ringwalled vlan ;-)
It all came about when the leading pc mag in the UK (PcPro) decided to include Knoppix on the cover dvd.

Last edited by Snurfen; May 14th, 2006 at 08:05 PM. Reason: oh, the spelling, the spelling