Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old June 30th, 2005, 05:48 AM

Laptop not acknowledging adapter

Hi !
I'm new and need help. I have a Toshiba Satellite A70 laptop and it is exactly a year old (lucky me...no more warranty). Anyways, I have an adapter and I use it all the time. It's plugged into the wall and the other bit is plugged into my laptop...but my laptop is not registering that it's plugged in. It *used* to acknowledge the adapter if I fiddled with the piece that goes into the laptop and now that doesn't even work.
Is there a trip to the repair shop in my near future? I can't even recharge the damn thing if it won't acknowledge my adapter. HELP!!
Old June 30th, 2005, 07:09 PM
CTH Subscriber

You can check your ac adapter with a volt meter to see if it is putting out the correct voltage. If it is, the plug in the back of your laptop has likely broken.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 01:18 AM

Thanks for the help BigStu...as it turns out 1)Luckily I'm still under warranty and 2) it's a motherboard problem - at least so sayeth 2 repair type guys. They said that my jack is loose and these jacks are connected to the motherboard. Thank God I still have my warranty otherwise I'd be looking at $600-700 worth of repair.
Again, thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.