Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > General > Open Discussion

Notices

Open Discussion A place to chat with other members about non-technical related topics

Topic Tools
Old February 16th, 2017, 10:58 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Smurfy

Hey Smurfy, how are you?

Been reading about the terrible bush fires that are surrounding your home town and wondering how you are getting on?

You've all had a lot to put up with, firstly from several years worth of earthquakes and now these fierce bush fires.

Hang in there and best wishes.
Old February 17th, 2017, 07:05 AM

O/S: Linux
It has been a hell of a thing made worse by the politicians moaning about when to call to a state of emergency. All credit to the team at the coal face working really long hours, short breaks and back in to it again... GO CHCH Kia kaha people..
Old February 22nd, 2017, 01:41 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

Hi Neddie. All good here. The fires on the hill were on the opposite side of the city to me.
But hot dry windy summers = high fire risk. Could just as easily have been in the forest <1km directly north of me.

While it was "small" (just over 2000 ha) on the scale of bushfires in Australia or even west coast North America, it was one of the bigger ones in our history and certainly the closest one to putting a major metropolitan area at risk.
One monsoon-bucket helicopter crashed and killed the pilot, resulting in the rest being grounded at a time when they probably could have done the most to prevent the two fires linking. Unfortunately it is looking likely that at least one of the fires was not an accidental ignition
All under control now though, but the crews are still hard at work preventing any flare-ups.
Unfortunately it seems there is a bit of a "health and safety gone mad" culture at the top of the Fire Service at the moment as a result of workplace safety law changes, that means it is taking longer for plans to be evaluated before the actual firefighting starts.

We already knew there was dysfunction at local government level when it comes to Civil Defence and local States of Emergency.

Today is the 6th anniversary of the fatal quake.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 10:05 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 10 Home
Glad to hear that you're OK, sorry to hear about the helicopter pilot, always terrible when someone who is trying to help comes to a sticky end.

6 years since that big quake, time really flies for those not involved, but I guess really slowly for the families involved.

Hope the rest of the year stays steady and fire free. Good to hear from you.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 11:47 AM
CTH Subscriber

you seen this.
Quote:
Atlanta (CNN)New Zealand might be Australia's smaller neighbor but it's sitting on a massive new continent scientists have named "Zealandia," according to a publication released by The Geological Society of America.
New Zealand and Australia might be able to finally give each other more breathing room. It turns out they sit on separate continents. New Zealand calls a 1.8 million square mile land mass known as Zealandia home. This new continent also includes New Caledonia, along with several other territories and island groups.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/16/travel...nt-discovered/
Old February 26th, 2017, 07:00 AM

I will say a prayer Smurfy that the fires are put under control SOON and no one gets hurt......

I didnt realise this was happening...I love New Zealand!! (I feel terrible....11 houses ruined so far)

Do they know what started this??
Old February 26th, 2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
I will say a prayer Smurfy that the fires are put under control SOON and no one gets hurt......

I didnt realise this was happening...I love New Zealand!! (I feel terrible....11 houses ruined so far)
Do they know what started this??
Suspicion of arson one one of the fires. It is 80% controlled according to the news reports I hear.
Old March 1st, 2017, 01:16 AM

Well I hope it all gets cleared up straight away!!!!

Poor people