Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old February 11th, 2014, 03:20 AM

What could cause extremely slow speed test settings but otherwise fast internet?

So I have an odd problem.

If I do a download speed test, more often than not I'm getting a tenth of a 1mbps (so .25 mbps for example). This is the speed I get on speedtest.net, speakeasy.net, and speedtest.comcast.net 90%+ of the time.

The speedtest hosted by my ISP (http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/re...peed-test.html) runs fine and as expected.

It gets weirder: all downloads and website loads, video streaming, etc all run fine and at the expected speed.

I think this problem also weirdly effects some online poker sites I play on. Sometimes I experience freezing while playing, and I'm 100% sure the problem is on my end and I'm pretty sure the problem started right after I got a new router and modem.

So what could be problem here? Some kind of router/modem setting that I need to change? Please help, I'm a pro poker player and these freezes are costing me money

Here are the stats:
  • I just freshly installed windows 7 today and it still happens so we can eliminate my computer as the issue.
  • New and high quality router + modem, models are: Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wireless Gigabit Router + Motorola SURFboard Cable Modem
  • ISP is TWC and speed is Ultimate at up to 50 Mbps. ( I get around that on the twc speed test as I noted above)
  • The problem occurs with WIFI as well as wired connections.

Thanks for any help, I'll be checking this post a lot and will reply quickly!

EDIT: So I just connected directly to the modem and got fast speed test results on ALL sites. This means the problem is the wireless router. This is a new $200 router. What should I do to test and fix the problem?

Last edited by thename1000; February 11th, 2014 at 03:36 AM.
Old February 11th, 2014, 09:15 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
you can also try another speed test at another speed test site. imo, speed tests are worthless. it is just a test between your computer and a set point and there could be technical issues between the two points. as long as your speeds are about right while you are surfin there aint nothing to worry about.