Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old July 16th, 2007, 09:38 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Make all windows open maximized...

I just finished doing a clean install of XP SP-2 and notice that now all my windows open in "normal" size vs "maximized". I used to be able to drag the corners of windows to the maximized position and then when I reopened them windows would remember the maximized position and open accordingly. Now for some reason that doesn't work anymore. I've Googled it and there don't seem to be any answers except for Internet Explorer... you have the ability to right click the IE shortcut and select "maximized", then IE opens maximized, but as soon as you open a new tab or open Windows Explorer you're right back to the small (normal) window. Anyone know how to make ALL windows open maximized (and stay that way)? I'm getting tired of having to click on the maximize button every time I open a window.

Thanks,
Mark
Old July 16th, 2007, 09:42 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
Howdy:

Try doing what you did (use the cursor to drag the window to full screen) then, close the original window (use file.exit) and then close the expanded window (again, make sure you use File>Exit).

Now try it.

Murray
Old July 16th, 2007, 10:04 PM

Still not working Murray,

I have lots of desktop shortcuts to websites... CTH, Google, etc.
I just opened CTH, drug the corners to the maximized position, then closed using File>Exit. When I reopened the CTH shortcut it was back to normal size.

If I open CTH, drag to maximize window, then open Google in a new tab, then close using File>Exit, same thing happens.

Scratching my head...

Mark

PS I'm going to Google this again. I did see a registry hack somewhere that I might try after backing up my system.

Last edited by squirekat; July 16th, 2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:10 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
It should stay maximized if you use the method you did before..

Right click on shortcut and select "maximize" from the dropdown menu.

Did you do that to your normal IE shortcut icon as well?

Murray
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray S. View Post
It should stay maximized if you use the method you did before..

Right click on shortcut and select "maximize" from the dropdown menu.

Did you do that to your normal IE shortcut icon as well?

Murray
I can get IE7 to open maximized that way, and as long as I'm only opening new tabs from the original window they all open maximized, but if I double click my CTH desktop shortcut (or any other desktop shortcut for a website) without the original IE7 window already open, then they open in normal size. Was that confusing?

Put another way... if I double click a desktop shortcut to any website it opens normal size, and unfortunately there is no dropdown menu to select "Run: Maximized" on regular shortcuts, only the IE7 shortcut.

Mark
Old July 16th, 2007, 11:49 PM

I found This Article about setting the default size of (all) windows in Vista, and it's basically the same way it's supposed to work in XP. Unfortunately, since my last clean install, it isn't working that way anymore.

Trying to find that registry hack I ran across in my first search but can't find it now. There are a couple of small programs you can download to do the job but I can't see downloading a program to do something I should be able to do manually.

Mark
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
If you're talking about only Internet Explorer windows, the trick is to open IE to a page with links, open a link in a new windows, resize that new window by dragging, then close the original window first. If you don't close the original window first, it won't work.

After you close the window you resized (having close the original window first), all future IE windows should open maximized.
Old July 17th, 2007, 12:57 AM

Problem solved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz View Post
If you're talking about only Internet Explorer windows, the trick is to open IE to a page with links, open a link in a new windows, resize that new window by dragging, then close the original window first. If you don't close the original window first, it won't work.

After you close the window you resized (having close the original window first), all future IE windows should open maximized.
That is one of the most obscure fixes I've run across in quite a while (but it worked). All is well in CleanInstallVille again. Thank you Miz and Murray! That one really had me chasing my tail.

Mark