Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old November 17th, 2006, 02:12 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Unhappy Issue with Sharing and Security

Machine details:

Dell C840 laptop, 2 MHz, 1GB ram, 40 GB HDD. XP Pro SP2 with latest updates, Zone Alarm Pro firewall v6.5 and NOD32 v2.5 antivirus; NOD32 has all modules, advanced heuristics and additional data stream scanning activated. I run Windows Defender in the background and it automatically does a quick scan every day. I have SpywareBlaster v3.5.1 installed and I use Ad-Aware’s immunisation feature.

I use broadband internet via BT and the machine can be on-line for days on end. I access the internet through a Netgear DG834GT NATS router, so additional internet security is provided by its hardware firewall.

ZAP is configured so it is set to fully stealth, but its anti-spyware and email monitoring is off (I only want its firewall and don’t want conflicts with other resident scanners). The only program with the unchecked ability to send emails in ZAP’s program control is Outlook.

I regularly perform full system scans with the free versions of: SpyBot S&D v1.4; Grisoft AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5; Emsi a2; Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.06. I update all signatures and databases before full scans, which I usually do weekly. NOD32 is scheduled to automatically do a full system scan weekly.

I use Firefox 2.0 rather than IE7, except when I have no choice (for example, with Microsoft sites); Firefox has various security extensions installed, like NoScript and Adblock Plus. I regularly use GRC.com's port scanner to check that the machine is fully 'stealth' when on-line.

I use CCleaner and Registry Mechanic to clean out cookies, temp files, keep load times down and registry clean - startup takes around 3 minutes. I have used Wintasks and SpyBot utilities to selectively limit the startup list.

OK, that’s the background, my problem is this. If I select a file in “My Documents” then open the right-click context menu and try to select “Sharing and security….” I get an error message saying that Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close, followed by two consecutive windows, one sending an error report on Explorer, the next sending an error report on Dr Watson.

I have some encrypted folders on my drive (using the XP encryption, not 3rd party) and I can no longer change their encryption settings, nor encrypt any other folders. The problem seems to occur with any folder, whether encrypted or not.

I know that this option was working about 4 weeks ago, when I encrypted a folder. I have recently (last two days) deleted some network places and disabled off-line files for a network I used to use – that’s all I have done with folders or drives.

All other options on the right-click context menu for folders seem to work OK; it seems to be just the security and sharing option that doesn’t work. I’ve shut down the machine and rebooted – no change. I’ve run sfc /scannow , but that made no difference either.

Anyone any ideas?
Old November 17th, 2006, 11:14 PM

O/S: Windows Vista 64-bit
Do a repair install of Windows:
Go to this site and read EVERYTHING on it (don't skim, read!) You will need to visit the Microsoft update site and reinstall all your updates
Old November 18th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Banned

Try looking in XP's event viewer for more info on the explorer error as it pertains to the sharing and security problem.
The best way would be to clear the log on both system and applications then recreate the error and look in Event Viewer for info on this.
Post the-
Source
Event I.D. number
Faulting module, if known.
Old November 18th, 2006, 09:31 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Hey Rainbow,

Good advice! I found that the problem was being caused by Explorer calling sfsshell.dll. I looked for this and found it was in the Program Directory of a small free app I use called Simple File Shredder. Uninstall it and the problem goes away.

A quick trip over to the originator's site (Scar5) and I find in the forum that this has been posted as a known issue in the last week (perhaps one of Big Bill's many critical updates caused the clash, as I've had SFS since April without a problem) and if I reinstall without the shell extension option to add SFS to the context menu, problem solved.

So thanks, Rainbow - on the money!

Glad I didn't take Gimpy's advice though first time out - big job and possibly many problems! But thanks for trying to help though, much appreciated.
Old November 18th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Banned

Glad do hear you got the bugger.
Don't always go with what's posted first to cure a problem. Best to wait for other ideas then draw your own conclusions as to which path to take.