Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Applications

Notices

Applications Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of computer software applications

Topic Tools
Old July 7th, 2006, 04:07 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Outlook 2002 - Sending email, sends multiple copies of that email to the recipient

Any thoughts? I need to resolve this, it is driving me nuts, and I have seen it before, but never personally, so I have never seen the solution. Any thoughts? Or even someplace to begin? Before anyone says upgrade to SP2, I have tried this. Mind you, my PST file is well over a gig, so if that could have anything to do with it, let me know.
Thanks
Mike (New user )
Old July 7th, 2006, 04:35 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
is everyone getting duplicates or just certain people? Have you checked with your isp to see if their mail server is having problems?
Old July 14th, 2006, 07:17 PM

i'm seeingthis same problem with a user in Outlook 2003 on Exchange. Happens from his XP Pro machine but didn't in a session on a 2003 MS terminal server. Is it possible that it's profile related?
Old July 14th, 2006, 07:26 PM

Additional symptoms

Another thing I realize is that there is a problem with having such a large .pst file. If the file becomes too large, you can no longer edit it, i.e delete something out of a folder, clear your trash, etc. I am verifying something shortly, but I think the email that is being blasted to people is stuck in the Outbox, and I think it may have something to do with the fact that a move from the Outbox to the Sent Items folder would require editing the .pst file, which is impossible at this point. Is there a resolution to this, i.e. a patch or setting that will alleviate the enormous .pst file, without deleting emails?

~Mike
Old July 14th, 2006, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msacco
Another thing I realize is that there is a problem with having such a large .pst file. If the file becomes too large, you can no longer edit it, i.e delete something out of a folder, clear your trash, etc. I am verifying something shortly, but I think the email that is being blasted to people is stuck in the Outbox, and I think it may have something to do with the fact that a move from the Outbox to the Sent Items folder would require editing the .pst file, which is impossible at this point. Is there a resolution to this, i.e. a patch or setting that will alleviate the enormous .pst file, without deleting emails?

~Mike
the cap on PSTs is closer to 2 GB before it's dangerous. You could create additioal PSTs and move emails to these--maybe one for sent, one for deleted (if you're keeping them), or break it down as you like.
Old July 14th, 2006, 07:41 PM

Good idea, not to get there

Brent,
Thats an extremely good idea. You wouldn't happen to be able to tell me how to go about doing that, would you? Also, let me add, I am working this for a friend, and he is a novice user, so does separating out the .pst files cause any overhead for the user? Or can it be relatively seamless?
Thanks.

Mike
Old July 15th, 2006, 12:41 AM

File, New, Outlook Data File. Build it, name it, etc. It should then show up in the All Mail Folders section (or Outlook 2002 equivalent). Create the sub folders once you're able to see it. Drag and drop the emails/folders from the old PST.
Old August 4th, 2006, 05:56 PM

b.r.e.n.t
Thank you tons.
Making a seperate .pst file resolved the issue. It was up over 2 gigs, and i think Outlook REALLY disliked that, despite the claim that SP2 allows it to handle a much larger pst file.

Thank a bunch.
Mike