Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Software > Internet / Browsers

Notices

Internet / Browsers Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Internet and Browser issues

Topic Tools
Old September 22nd, 2002, 12:56 AM

How Do I Host Multiple Domains On One Ip?

All right, I have a site hosted on some webspace and I have the IP for that webspace. I also have a domain name registered through a domain provider. So I am wondering how I get the webspace to run through that name. Like so If I was to go on to WS_FTP and for the host if I was to type ftp.mydomain.com, it would work, and I would logon. Also, what if I have different domains running off of the same webspace, and I wanted to do the same thing as with the original domain name. Would I need a new IP or something? I have heard about DNS and Nameservers, but I don't exactly know how to do what I want.

I am hoping you can help me, if what I said above even makes sense.

Well Thanks a lot
Old September 22nd, 2002, 12:24 PM
CTH Subscriber

Hi and welcome

Is the IP that you've been allocated unique to your site? Often hosting providers will put several sites on one IP address. To find out, type http://xx.xx.xx.xx into your browser, replacing the xx.xx.xx.xx bit with the IP of the site. If you get to the site then you're in business.

You will need to get the domain name provider to set the domain name up to point at the IP address, it's almost certainly not something you'll be able to do yourself.

If the IP is shared you will probably have to transfer the domain name to the hosting company (which will almost certainly cost), they should be able to help