Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Windows 7

Notices

Windows 7 Problem solving for the Windows 7 Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Windows 7 you are using - Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate.

Topic Tools
Old April 2nd, 2016, 06:34 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Home
My Win 7 Professional will not install updates

Windows 7 Professional will not install updates.
I have a HP Compaq 6715s laptop, this has just been recently purchased second hand in beautiful
a nice clean machine, I have been setting it up to suit my requirements and have found there are over 200
critical updates to download and install.
The PC would not let me download these after many hours, I have tried unticking them and just ticking one
I am trying to download that one now just 39KB, it has been running for a long time.
Downloading 1 update (0 KB total, 0 % complete) it never gets past 0 % after many hours.
I have tried all of the trouble shooting on the PC with no joy, and also browsed the internet for help and
assistance and cannot resolve this problem, I note that there are only 13 updates installed on the PC,
I have also done a restore point but this has not made any difference at all.
I would appreciate If anyone can help me to resolve this problem it will be appreciated.
Net Framework 4 set up would not install either.
Old April 2nd, 2016, 07:26 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
peterjay
Have a look at this discussion. Scroll down to the last post.
It's not a problem with your computer.
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...d.php?t=231363
Old April 2nd, 2016, 10:33 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
one other possibility, from what I found, it originally came with vista. You may want to see if the Win 7 is genuine. If not genuine, you will not get most updates.

Click the Start menu and select Control Panel.
If you’re viewing by Category, click on System and Security.
Click on System.
Scroll down to the area at the bottom labelled “Windows activation.”
On the left it should say “Windows is activated” and on the right you should see the “genuine Microsoft” logo
Old April 3rd, 2016, 08:15 PM

My Win 7 Professional will not install updates Reply to Topic

Yes, Windows is activated and genuine and has a product I.D
I was thinking of installing my XP o.s on the laptop, as I think this would wipe the hard drive, I could then purchase a Win 7 upgrade disk, which should give me the option of Win 10, I have done this on my desktop XP to Win 7 to Win 10, but perhaps this would not be a good idea and I may be back to square one.
With the downloading of these updates on the laptop being a pain, would using the laptop wireless as I am be making it a lot slower, and would connecting to ethernet cable make it any better.
Being as this Win7 in the laptop is genuine it should be eligable for Win 10 but there is no icon in the taskbar indicating this and how would I get Win 10 without the icon to click on.
I notice on ebay you can buy a Win 10 upgrade and install DVD for a few pounds are these any good and would it be a quicker process to install and would it work with my laptop I.E there is no icon offering the upgrade, would it know its a genuine copy with product I.D and install with no hassle or give me problems.
Could it be that the Win 10 icon is not showing because of all of these 200 odd updates and it could be one of them.
Offer ends 29 July for free Win 10.
Many thanks.
Peter.

Last edited by peterjay; April 3rd, 2016 at 08:17 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2016, 08:25 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
what os is currently on the laptop? Did the xp come with another computer? if not, is it a full retail version, upgrade, or for use only on a new computer?

as far as win10, if you do not have all the updates for win7 then most likely you will not have the win10 icon. Go to the computer manufacturers website and see if they have win10 drivers for your specific computer. If not, then IMO, do not upgrade. You could have major problems if you do. If they do have win10 drivers, then you can download the win10 iso from

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...n10_Body_AddPC
Old April 3rd, 2016, 08:45 PM

O/S: Windows 10 Pro
As far as buying any kind of software from eBay I'm going to say Don't Do It. I was scammed out of money on eBay for a Microsoft Office Suite that Microsoft blocked the product key on, because it wasn't legit. I'm still waiting for Pay Pal to try to get my money back.
Old April 7th, 2016, 02:52 PM

WOW I had well over 200 updates and problems galore trying to download install these, many of these did not install they are canceled of failed and I have got to the point where updates says none available all up to date.
But obviously this does not take into consideration the canceled and failed ones (loads of them) my Belarc Advisor tells me there are no critical updates and the update history says these failed and canceled ones are important or recommended.
My Icon for the Windows 10 upgrade has made an appearance, but the question is should all of these failed etc updates be in place before I attempt the upgrade and if so how do I go about this as I do not have a clue, any help and assistance as always will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.
Peter.
Old April 7th, 2016, 03:35 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Reinstall Windows WHY????

Broadband connection will make a difference over wireless as it will be faster.

1. Try this fix

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

Then try updates again but only select a few at a time.
Old April 8th, 2016, 06:53 PM

I had this problem awhile back and this did the trick, maybe it will work for you too.

WINKEY+E KEYS, THEN OS, C THEN WINDOWS FOLDER, SOFTWARE DISTRIBUTION , DOWNLOAD FOLDER, HIGHLIGHT ALL AND DELETE ALL, THEN RESTART PC AND GO AND INSTALL ALL UPDATES AGAIN.
MAKE SURE WHEN DONE TO MAKE SURE THE RECYCLING BIN IS EMPTIED.