Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Networking

Notices

Networking Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Networking, router, and Wi-Fi issues

Topic Tools
Old October 3rd, 2020, 10:56 PM

Internet unstable on network

Hello,

I have a small network with only one router doing DHCP. Every so often the 10 machines on that network loose internet. At first, I thought it was the hub that went down, but to my shock some of the machines still had the internet off the hub and the others just would not get any internet at all, even when I swapped network cables.

What is more odd is the computer without internet did not loose its IP address. I was told a rouge DHCP might be messing with the IP addresses, but within an hour every machine got the internet again and no IP addresses had changed.

So my query is.

So I have 2 questions.

What would be the most common thing causing this?

What log files/application can I use to monitor the network or internet so it can give me an idea if something is about to fail or is failing?

Any help appreciated.
Old October 3rd, 2020, 11:03 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
what router model?
Old October 3rd, 2020, 11:29 PM

Hello.

Here are the router details.

Model Name Vigor2760n
Router Name DrayTek
Firmware Version 3.8.9.3_BT

Thanks
Old October 4th, 2020, 02:18 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
that is an old modem/router. it may be time to replace it. They do go bad and can have connection issues such as what you are having. Also it seems to be a bit out of date so it may not be able to handle all the connections properly. Unless you purchased it yourself, contact your service provider and have them check it out. In the meantime, if you have access to the router, go into the settings and see if it has the latest updates. also you can try a power cycle, unplug the modem/router for a 20 count then plug it back in and see if it helps. also you should have your service provider to check out the lines to make sure the problem is not on their end.
Old October 4th, 2020, 08:44 AM

Thanks Dan.

I was wondering that since its internet connection the most common cause would be the router. It has a serious load of settings on it, like DHCP and so on. Is there any way to back up those settings and load them onto another router or similar model? PLus what would be a good way to monitor or log router or network issues so I could pin point it correctly?
Old October 12th, 2020, 10:47 AM

Hello Renegade,

After some calls and investigations, it seems the router was not fully at fault. I followed your advice and called Dreytek support. They mentioned in a configuration screen, it seemed something called WAN2 had most likely gone down.

The Dreytek Router is connected to BTNET / 11MBPSEFM system and that looked to have gone down. I am not sure what could have caused that, so I going to chase BT or telecoms provider on if that system went down and if there is a failsafe to stop that from happening again.

In the meantime I going to try and set up some log files in case the problem happens again, I can see what the issue is.