Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old March 31st, 2013, 09:25 PM

Whether to use laptop permanently linked to power supply

For years I have used my laptop with the power supply remaining connected, even if the Li-ion battery is showing fully charged. (Obviously that would maintain the battery at 100%).

Now my friends are advising me that this is bad practice and will wear out the battery quicker (although the battery that came with my Acer lasted four years doing this).

They say that I should charge the Li-ion battery to 100%, then disconnect and run it down to 5% or 10% before recharging to full again.

As this is such a basic issue I am not citing specific models, but can do so if there is not one right answer across the board.

Last edited by Madge2; April 1st, 2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:23 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
every laptop I had was basically plugged in 24/7 while every so often I would let it run down but not out. Imo, I believe it does do some harm in the long run but usually by the time that happens, it has been replaced. Once thing to note, lithium batteries can by harmed by letting it run completely out.

You can do a search online and you will find arguments for both sides. my advise is to do what you feel comfortable with.
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:34 PM

Thanks Renegade

Incidentally I have just removed a defective battery from an HP Pavilion notebook and I am using it now plugged into the mains power. This has solved some problems from which I have suffered lately. But is there any downside to doing this indefinitely? I don't need this notebook to be portable.
Old April 1st, 2013, 01:37 PM

In the olden days when all notebooks used NiCad batteries, leaving the charger plugged in all the time did cause problems as NiCad batteries have a problem with voltage depletion or voltage depression phenomenon, often called "Memory Effect" - where they got used to being at a particular charge status, and once they dropped a bit below that, they tended to drop drastically. Or if they were kept nearly discharged for long periods of time, they would not take a full charge. To prevent memory effect, it was necessary to always fully charge and then fully discharge the batteries so they would work properly, and avoid keeping them at a constant charge status for long periods of time.

But later notebooks used Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH) batteries, and the latest notebooks use lithium-ion (Li-ion) and these batteries do not suffer from the same memory problems as Ni-Cad batteries so you can safely keep them plugged in 24/7.
Old April 1st, 2013, 08:44 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
If there's not a "smart" circuit that senses when the battery is full and shuts off the charger accordingly, then the battery is going to have a charge constantly pumped into it, which will be burned off as heat, lowering battery life.
Old April 1st, 2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
If there's not a "smart" circuit that senses when the battery is full and shuts off the charger accordingly, then the battery is going to have a charge constantly pumped into it, which will be burned off as heat, lowering battery life.
Ummm, no sorry but batteries pull a charge, chargers don't push it. So when a battery is drained, the battery pulls lots of current and as it reaches a full charge, the charging current drops and drops until it is just a "trickle" - assuming the charging circuits and battery are all good, that is.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
Ummm, no sorry but batteries pull a charge, chargers don't push it.
Are you that anal? Or do you feel threatened by me in some fashion?

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...31&postcount=8

Quote:
"The fact the computer does run good once it stabilizes "suggests" the PSU is good. "

Last edited by JoJo Gunn; April 2nd, 2013 at 01:21 AM. Reason: addenda
Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:59 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Hey JoJo. Good to see you are here still.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:23 PM

Miss Ann Marie! How have you been? It's good to see that you also are still around, (and we're all the better for it).

(There's been some rough times down there where you're at. Hope you were spared).
Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:41 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Nah I'm fine. Different island. Smurfy wasnt so lucky though.

Anyway, just passing by and saw you here and wanted to say Hi.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Are you that anal? Or do you feel threatened by me in some fashion?
Well, thanks for keeping it professional and not launching a personal affront when someone says something you don't agree with.

Have a good day. Bye.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digerati View Post
Well, thanks for keeping it professional and not launching a personal affront when someone says something you don't agree with.

Have a good day. Bye.
You didn't have to say anything to begin with, did you, Junior? But you ended up making my point for me.

We'll finish this by playing your word game on your turf. Let's agree that the battery says "lemme have it", to which the charger does. No matter how much you just have to be right, the end result is that heat eventually destroys the electrolytes of a battery.

See ya down the High Road.

*snicker*
Old April 2nd, 2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
You didn't have to say anything to begin with, did you, Junior? But you ended up making my point for me.
Oh, I see. So you control the hall-passes around here, huh?

You are right, I didn't have to say anything. I could have let the mis-information just slide.

But you had a tissy-fit, made it personal and launched puerile insults instead of keeping it technical and non-personal.

And you are still tossing out insults.

Junior? Yeah, right. I'm the immature one here.

No more wasting time. I'm done here.
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Banned

Yes it is bad practice to remain connected power supply into your laptop by doing this your laptop battery life is go down and you need to change battery. please stop using this method. if you want some good advice to how to keep your computer update then you contact with some experienced technical online computer support team member .
Old April 9th, 2013, 02:48 PM

some experienced technical online computer support team member .

Ok, and I suppose that would be your site, which you haven't posted a link to YET. You have posted twice with the same info, no way helping a member here or trying to give a solution. CTH has qualified technical online computer support team members.

Don't waste members time with posting useless information, you want to help then help with some sound advise, as you are welcome here. But continue just posting some experienced technical online computer support team member . And you stay here will be short-lived.