Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows Vista

Notices

Windows Vista Problem solving for the Windows Vista Operating System. Please remember to state which edition of Vista you are using - Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate etc. and whether you are using the 32-bit or 64-bit version if you know.

Topic Tools
Old October 11th, 2012, 05:37 PM

BOOTMGR is missing

My neighbor left her HP Pavilion dv9000 laptop for me to look at "cause it's not working." It has Vista Home Premium, but I don't know if it's 32 or 64 bit. No Vista OS DVD, nor did she make recovery disk(s). No USB devices connected and just the single HD. Just plugged in and connected to Internet.

I booted it up and, sure enough, it's not working--BOOTMGR is missing. Press ctrl-alt-del to restart. I was at a loss, so I Googled the problem and read MANY posts on your forum and others about this issue, but no success yet.

I'm hoping one of you pc guru's can point me to a solution. This is what I've done so far:

Booted off a Vista bootable CD>Windows is loading files>Choose language, time & currency format, keyboard or input device=English>Repair Your Computer

The next box (System Recovery Options) tells me to choose an OS, but none is listed. Same box shows "Load Drivers" or "Next">Chose "Next"

Opened a command prompt:
at x:\Sources>typed fixboot>'fixboot' not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file.
typed fixmbr>same results as above
typed bootrec /fixboot>element not found

Then ran "Startup Repair" for a full 24 hrs. and it was still attempting repairs, so I pulled the plug and started all over again.

This time, at x:\Sources> I typed diskpart>list disk and it shows:
Disk ###=Disk 0
Status=Online
Size=149GB
Free=0 B

Since I don't really know what I'm doing, I was hoping someone here can help me. I'm not an expert, but can follow directions and ask questions if the going gets too technical. lol

Thanks to any/all who can help.
Old October 14th, 2012, 06:22 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Try booting into the Recovery Environment and rebuilding the BCD (open a command prompt and type bootrec /RebuildBcd, see here for more help).

If that doesnt work, try Method 1 here.
Old October 25th, 2012, 05:31 AM

Another way that helped me fix it before (or whenever laptop has a serious bomb):
http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/19...y-options.html