Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old November 3rd, 2005, 11:48 AM

Unhappy Disc CleanUP

After A disc clean up that it was started on it's own becasue of small disc space left it shows me this message.
"Files that are required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions.To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files." The network location from which the files should be copied .... C:\windows\servicePackFiles\i386/mswincrt.man ... is not available
Contact your system administrator or insert windows XP Service Pack @ Source Files Now.

By Doing This nothing happens.Please give me a hand.
Also one more file is missing....C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386/controls.man

Thanks in advance
Old November 3rd, 2005, 12:18 PM

O/S: Windows XP Home
You could try going to start/run and type in sfc /scannow and click ok. Put the XP disk in if/when asked.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uripyores
You could try going to start/run and type in sfc /scannow and click ok. Put the XP disk in if/when asked.
I Just did it and the verifacation window closed without asking me to put any xp or sp2 disc.The warning message is still there.Do i need to restart my pc now?And If do that will the windows start normally?
Old November 3rd, 2005, 01:09 PM

This message comes up now : The network location which the files should be copied C:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386/rtcdll.man is not available. and a lot more .man files if i press cancel instead of repair.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 01:49 PM

I reckon windows is asking for the installation files for the service packs you have installed during updates. Does the folder it is asking for: C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386, actually exist on your computer? Possibly it has somehow ended up in the wrong location, or been damaged or deleted...
Old November 3rd, 2005, 03:58 PM

Thumbs up

I guess i resolved my problem.What i did was to copy the whole i386 folderpaste it in C:/windows/ServicePackFiles folder (overwrite actually).I Did put the SP2 and the WinXpPro cds when asked but i am not sure if that was the one that helped.
You see i still had those window messages coming up when i was pressing the repair button.Finally i desided to keep on pressing the cancel button till it stopped asking me for missing files.
I suppose i had to reboot after i replaced the i386 folder.Or not?Boh..the thing is that now my pc is working great again.
What do u think?

Old November 3rd, 2005, 06:45 PM

Glad you're up and running again... But I have to say that I am not totally convinced your problems are all gone away, even if it looks hunky-dory right now. I'd like to suggest two things:

The first thing to do is go back to the answer given by uripyores and do an sfc scan. If you still get messages about missing files, then something is still wrong. But if you don't get any problems there, it doesn't necessarily mean everything is OK... (You can always cancel your way through again if the files you need are not on your system).

I think you should also make a point of visiting Windows Update and see what you get there.

My concern is that although all looks well, you may be running without some of the service packs you need fully installed. As I understand it, there are two i386 folders. One contains files for your original install and the other contains files for the updates. It's not clear from your post which folder you have copied to get up and going again. I might be worrying too much, but possibly, you have overwritten your updates but not actually uninstalled them so that Windows can spot it...

You really need a response from someone with more expertise than I have...
Old November 4th, 2005, 09:45 AM

After that the only problem i had was that i couldn;t open any pictures.Two dll files were missing.I downloaded them and that was it.About the i386 folder: this folder is only one..you see i have automatic updates off.I did again sfc /scannow and no window came up.It all seems ok at least for now.