Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old November 4th, 2008, 03:25 PM

PC keeps Checking for Consistency and then restarting

Hi, new guy here.

My 2001 Dell PC began checking for consistency at start up the Sunday that daylight savings time ended. Actually it booted up and worked normally for a few hours that morning. But when I returned to it a few hours later, it was checking for consistency and then rebooting automatically. The PC runs on XP along with the latest updates. It is set to notify me of all available MS updates and the critical ones are installed. Norton updates are automatically installed and I have run the "Check Now" utility on the tools tab of the "Local Disk (C Properties." Of course, it restarts and there's the blue screen again.

Windows XP is currently running in Safe Mode and I am writing from a separate PC. Will someone please offer suggestions on how to fix this problem? Please be as specific as possible. For instance, I've read about running the "run chkdsk /r", but where? How do I get to the command prompt in safe mode? Believe me, I'll reply as soon as I return.

Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

Last edited by ATL_REALTOR1; November 4th, 2008 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Repharased a sentence
Old November 4th, 2008, 07:30 PM

F8 at reboot, then choose safemode with command prompt.

Find your windows CD, go to repair, at the command prompt type in chkdsk /r

if that does not fix the problem. Go ahead and write a new boot sector, i don't see how it could hurt.

Follow these steps exactly:
1.Find your windows CD, go to repair, it will go to command prompt.
2.Type in
FIXMBR C:
FIXBOOT C:

COPY CDDrive:\I386\NTLDR C:\
COPY CDDrive:\I386|NTDETECT.COM C:\
BOOTCFG /rebuild.

I left a space there for a reason, if the first two give you errors, you will need to do the other 3. Mainly the NTDETECT error. None of your data will be lost as it's only working on the boot record of your HD and not on the main partition.

Good luck.
Old November 4th, 2008, 09:21 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Welcome to CTH

As Undermine indicates;

chkdsk /r (for repair may do the trick) I would not mess with the boot record yet. Since you can get into "Safe Mode" the boot record is fine.

In safe mode try this:

Start | Search

Search for the following file(s) *.chk

delete everyone it finds, then reboot.

"checking for consistency" generally means as indicated that something is wrong with the files on the hard drive. or the drive itself.

Also a easy way to rund chkdsk is:

Start | Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt

type in as indicated chkdsk /r hit (<OK>)

It will not run within windows (can't check a drive in use) but will run as soon as you reboot.
Old November 4th, 2008, 09:59 PM

Thank you both. I'm using all suggestions. I'll let you know.
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:41 AM

None of this worked.
Old November 5th, 2008, 02:16 AM

OK, let me correct that. I did not get the boot sector stuff to work. But I followed all of the other advice here and also added something found somewhere else. I typed in "AT /delete" and rebooted. The system did one more disc check at startup and then started as normal. It claimed NVida was the cause of this problem.

Thanks again for your help. Looks like I'm up and going again.