Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Hardware > Hardware

Notices

Hardware Use this board for problem solving and the discussion of Computer Hardware issues

Topic Tools
Old October 15th, 2004, 08:45 AM

BSOD - Its driving me crazy!

Hi everyone. Firstly, I just wanted to say 'what an excellent forum!' I stumbled across it this morning & will probably be here all day now! So hello

Anyway, I work in an IT dept for a firm, we use explicitly Sony Vaio notebooks. The model I'm having problems with is an FR495EP. The models around 6 months old, standard notebook technology, Windows XP Pro SP1 blah blah!

I set up all machines the same, but this one, keeps BSOD'ing at random intervals. Usually when your accessing system RAM & the HDD at the same time. I've switched off the 'reboot on error' option in System Properties > Advanced to allow me to get a good look at the BSOD. It just refers to an error of memory thats violated system integrity!!!! The exact error code, 0x0000000e i've run through the Microsoft knowledgebase but nothing really helps. To try & eliminate the problem I've tried numerous software configurations. Connect to a network, dont connect to a network. With peripherals, without peripherals. With just Windows, & with other software.

Straight after recovery using the supplied CD, it will do it at some point. I dont think its an over heating issue as it sometimes does it immedietley. It DOESNT do it in SAFE mode! I've tried using a new recovery CD, I've also tried installing OEM copies of XP, re partitioning the HDD but still nothing.

The original HDD partition is 2 20 GB NTFS volumes & I've tried numerous different options. Needless to say, when I recover the unit, theres NO peripherals attached. Oh, its also been back to Sony TWICE who cannot find a fault!

Any ideas ?
Old October 15th, 2004, 10:47 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
go to control panel, click on administrative tools, click on event viewer and then click on system or application and see what warnings you are getting at the time of the bsod.
Old October 15th, 2004, 12:21 PM

the error / applcation & event logs show auto enrollment error, failure to auto-enroll. This happens though when on and off a network!
Old October 15th, 2004, 12:29 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
If it's random BSODing, try reseating the memory sticks or replacing with fresh ones.
I've often come across this prob when doing laptop rollouts/refreshes.

Martyn
Old October 15th, 2004, 04:02 PM

Yes, thats a good point, but we've checked the RAM, stressed it on a system designed to test integrity & we use this model laptop for all our employees. Its only this one we've had a problem with. Saying that,I've just installed SP2 & for the time being it seems fine. I'm going to run some CPU benchmarking software to see if its stable.