Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old January 4th, 2011, 08:24 PM

questions about replacing windows xp with a newer os

I didnt know where else to put this thread, because it involves windows xp, and windows 7, and drivers.

Computer is a hp pavilion ze4325us. It came originally with windows XP. I had some viruses on it, and decided to do a reinstall. Now I wanted to put windows 7 as the new operating system, given that I had put 1GB ram in this. Windows 7 started loading, but the display was all blotchy and not full screen either. Anyways, windows 7 installed completely, and loaded almost al the drivers automatically. The only two drivers it couldnt load were multimedia controller and graphic controller. Usually after the os is loaded and there are missing drivers, I uninstall those devices which have the yellow marks and then scan for hardware changes from within device manager, but for some reason this didnt work.

Anyways, next I decided to load windows xp again, but the installation continued until 8 minutes were left in the process, and then I got a BSOD, that said

IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

So question is why was the windows 7 installation able to complete successfully whereas the windows XP install could not?

If I do decide to use windows 7 as my os, where can i get the missing drivers?

What decides whether a computer can work with one OS and not another?
Old January 5th, 2011, 02:41 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
why was the windows 7 installation able to complete successfully whereas the windows XP install could not?
because windows 7 is newer and so it has more 3rd party drivers included in the install routine. XP on the other hand, has limited 3rd party driver support included on the cd, so if it comes across hardware that it can't access correctly it will throw up an error. Another reason maybe because thats an HP (and uses an OEM version of XP rather than retail) and your using a retail version of XP, so there may be issues getting it to install correctly.

Quote:
If I do decide to use windows 7 as my os, where can i get the missing drivers?
Can't really use HP cause their drivers for your pc are xp and 2000. you can get the video drivers directly from Ati, and you may have to look around for the Ac'97 drivers (try Intel or realtek)
Old January 5th, 2011, 08:01 AM

I went to intel but I couldnt find the drivers for my graphics or multimedia.
Old January 5th, 2011, 09:01 AM
CTH Subscriber

Here is the spec sheet for your system' HP Spec sheet
As you can see, you graphics chip is the ATI mobility Radeon. You'll need to figure out the model # of the chip before you can download the driver. Ati Graphics drivers

The sound chip is made by conexant and as far as I know, they don't provide end user driver support. you may be able to find a "generic sound driver" that works, but you'll have to search the Internet for it, and there's no guarantee it will work.
Old January 5th, 2011, 01:30 PM

Okay, I guess Ill physically go to those sites and see if I can get the drivers.

On another note, I had tried to load win xp again when I found out that win7 wouldnt load. Win xp still wouldnt load always giving up at around 8 minutes time remaining in the instal l procedure. So I tried to load win7 again, but this time win7 wouldnt even finish the setup procedure like it had earlier. Does that mean that the hard disk is bad?

Last edited by shashgo; January 5th, 2011 at 01:44 PM.
Old January 5th, 2011, 02:42 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
what exactly are you wanting to do. Are you wanting to run both xp and win7 on that computer? also what win7 disk do you have? is it an upgrade or full retail version? what about your xp, is it the one that came with that computer or another or a full retail disk.

we really need the above info in order to determine what your next steps should be since neither operating systems are booting.

on a side not, imo, you need to stick with xp if hp does not have the proper win7 drivers for your specific system. With you having a laptop, the drivers for your graphics and sounds and possibly other drivers are hp specific. it will be extremely difficult to find third party ones.
Old January 5th, 2011, 07:37 PM

Both disks are retail disks. The win7 and the win xp are both full retail disks.

I dont care what OS I put on the system, I would like windows 7, so I bought that. But since I couldnt find all the drivers I tried to go back to win xp so I bought a win xp disk.
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:51 AM
CTH Subscriber

what you need to do is to format the drive and start from scratch. You can boot to your xp recovery console then type format C: Then you should be able to boot from either disk and install the os of your choice.

# insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD drive, and then restart the computer.
Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted.
# When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
# When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
#type format c: at the prompt
Old January 6th, 2011, 05:38 AM

renegade, so youre saying that the hard disk is not bad? But then why does the install process always stop with the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. I thought that error meant that hardware is bad, and since installation of th operating system stops prematurely, I figured its the hard drive.

Anway, in order to do go to the recovery console like you said, will using an windows disc other than the original one also work?
Old January 6th, 2011, 12:53 PM
CTH Subscriber

no I am not say the drive is bad nor am I saying it is good. I just want to your computer at a point where we know what exactly is on it. Remember we are not setting in front of your computer and with all the changes you have and tried to make you are at the point where it is getting confusing.

If you try formating the drive and it crashes, then possibly the drive is bad. You can go to the harddrives manufacturers website, download their harddrive diagnostic utility and check your drive. It should run at boot so no operating system is needed.

Once you find the manufacturer of your drive go to the following for the download.

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

what do you mean a windows disc other than the original? are you using a burnt copy? If so do you also have the original?

You said you have both retail xp and win7. ARE they legal copies or copies downloaded?
Old January 8th, 2011, 04:37 AM

no the windows xp and the windows 7 are both retail versions bought from best buy.

What I meant by 'windows disc is not the original one' is that the retail xp disks I bought is not the one that was initially used to load windows on the computer. Its a legal one, but a different disk and not the same disk as the original one.

When I start the install process, now with either disc (even the win 7 does not install anymore), the hard disc gets formatted during the installation process. And while installing windows xp, i get the error when there are 8 minutes remaining. When I install win7, i get the error at the point where the computer says 'preparing your computer for first use'

So I can only guess that it is the hard drive that is bad.

But Ill try running a diagnostic and seeing what it says. And Im going to try the recovery console thing and see if that works
Old January 8th, 2011, 08:41 AM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
So I can only guess that it is the hard drive that is bad.
the drive manufacturer's disk diagnostics will test for that.
Old January 8th, 2011, 03:40 PM

But what else might be causing the problem if its not the hard disk
Old January 8th, 2011, 03:50 PM
CTH Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashgo View Post
But what else might be causing the problem if its not the hard disk
do the tests first to see if the drive is bad before trying to find other causes.
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:12 AM

okay ill do that