Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Closed Topic

Topic Tools
Old September 13th, 2004, 09:46 PM

More Help

I have completed the instructions as prescribed and the current error reads "Can\t open input file: D:\i386\config.nt" Any help would be much appreciated! Also, I am attempting to install the palm desktop software for my sony clie using palm os 4.1.
Thanks again in advance!
Chuck
Old September 14th, 2004, 05:32 AM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows Vista 32-bit
Welcome to CTH Chuck, I have split your post from the original thread. It's too difficult trying to work with two people in the same thread. Here is the link to that Microsoft article in case you require it.

There are a couple of reasons why you might get that error.

1. You are using a Restore CD instead of a WinXP installation CD

2. D may not be the drive letter assigned to your CD Rom drive.

Let's get this fixed and then you will probably find that your software installs just fine.

Can you please check both and post back.
Old September 14th, 2004, 01:46 PM

Hi annmarie this is a cut paste from a post a few posts up ...

hi all ...it seems that you are all trying to do this the HARD way . go to the windows dir ....and find the repair folder ...right click on the autoexec.nt and config .nt ..copy and paste in your windows\system32 dir ....easy ....I hope haha good luck

PS basicly you have had or still have a VIRUS ... and this is part of the damage caused ...the 2 files are so that XP can run older 16bit programs such as 95 or 98 stuff ..what i have said should work fine ...but do a virus scan after to make sure ....cheers
Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:10 PM

hi cjeter,
to open config.nt and autoexec.nt in windows\system32, go to both files in windows\system32, right click on properties eliminate check box of "read only", then try to reinstall. should work. to not lose any changes place an x in "read only" box after you made any changes to both files
Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:21 PM
Cyber Tech Help Moderator

O/S: Windows 10 Home
gglajoe, since this thread is over five years old, I imagine the poster has solved the problem.
Closed Topic