Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Older Windows Versions > Windows XP

Notices

Windows XP Problem solving for the Windows XP Operating System

Topic Tools
Old December 13th, 2006, 08:10 AM

Exclamation The instruction at "0x73dd11c7" referenced memory at "0x000000004". The memory could

Can Anyone tell me what this is about.
The instruction at "0x73dd11c7" referenced memory at "0x000000004". The memory could not be "read".

It has come up several times on different software. I have run diagnostics on memory and they say no problems and i have cleaned and defraged and spit polished just about everything i can think of.

I am running windows xp home sp2 and it is a Compaq just bought about 4 months ago.

And Yes I have Googles myself to death. LOL

Hope someone has some insight on this, Thnx

Ken
Old December 13th, 2006, 10:29 AM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Check in the error log if its linked to any any process, or service in particular.
Old December 13th, 2006, 12:12 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Windows 7 32-bit
You are right (and welcome to CTH BTW).
I can't find anything meaningful on the web - neither via the search engines or on Microsoft's sites.

One thing I have gleaned is that it appears your memory is not unloading some instructions after reading them - it would be worth keeping a track and see if it is a similar bunch off apps that are causing it (i.e. make a list and post back - someone may spot a common link).

Here's some recommendations:
1) Get everything patched up (XP and all the apps -especially those that have experienced the error)
2) try a memory swap to see if it is associated with any particular stick of RAM (i.e. if you have more than one stick of ram, swap them about in the slots, try with only one stick installed, then with the other etc etc).
3) As mentioned, keep a track of when/where/how the error is occuring in post back.

Sorry to be so vague, but as you say it's tumbleweed city when you google that error.
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:36 PM

Thnx

Thank you for the Info and I will try each of your suggestions. I do tend to get the weird probs that allow me to learn more about computers whether I wan't to or Not. LOL

I have noticed it does it with media apps

Picture ripper, absolutely can not run at all
Newsbin, can run sometimes but once in a while will give error
Ulead Photo express 6 (trying to download Pix from a cam)
Nero, once in a while but not as much as the others
and IE 7 , once in a while

But I will Kepp an eye on it and try your other suggestions, Thnx
Ken
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:38 PM

O/S: Windows XP Pro
Download memtest86, burn it to a bootable CD or on a floppy. Remove all but 1 stick of RAM, and test each stick 1 at a time with memtest86.
You may have 1 faulty RAM stick in your computer, and just so you know which one it helps if you do them 1 at a time.
Old December 14th, 2006, 03:09 AM

Not yet But still Hopeful

I tried the memtest and no probs and I only have one stick of 512 ram.
Also for further info, i have a pentium 4 Compaq.
Thnx for all the help and support. I am determined to learn about this and figure it out. Keep it coming. LOL Thnx
Ken
Old December 14th, 2006, 05:35 AM

Remove the mem stick and try with another one - if the problem persist then we still need to think on which thread is creating problem else you know the mem stick is defective. also try switching the between mem slot.

I also had the same problem got eliminated on switch the mem.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 03:01 PM

I had the same problem

Somehow my explorer.exe file became corrupted. I have Windows XP Service Pack 3. I downloaded Windows Service Pack 3 and reinstalled it. The Microsoft site said to let automatic updates do it for me since I was only updating one computer, but automatic updates said I was up to date.

So I downloaded service pack 3 here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Reinstalled service pack 3 and the problem was solved.

I am not sure how my explorer.exe got corrupted. I had just run malwarebytes and automatic updates had installed some security patches. So one of those two caused the problem. But after I reinstalled service pack 3, automatic updates reinstalled the security patches and I didn't have the problem again. That makes me think malwarebytes caused the problem.