Go Back   Cyber Tech Help Support Forums > Operating Systems > Linux

Notices

Linux Problem solving for all open source distributions of Linux, such as Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora, RedHat, Suse, Mandriva and other proprietary unixes such as Solaris, SGI Irix. Newbie friendly too!

Topic Tools
Old July 31st, 2007, 03:40 PM

3 Linux Questions (Ubuntu)

1. running ubuntu in a windows (AD) environment. Win2K3 has c and d partitions, where d is shared as d$. I would like to have ubuntu map to the win box's d$. what is the command to do this?

2. i usually setup my win boxes as c: = o/s and d: = data. can i setup ubuntu to do this as well...either from a fresh install or from my current setup?

3. does linux have something like device manager? im gonna try and conquer the world of wireless networking soon, and i figure that will help with getting my pcmcia card going.

linux tard / nube here...so please go easy on me!!
Old July 31st, 2007, 05:12 PM
CTH Subscriber

O/S: Linux
For questions one and two, yes, you can mount that drive to use as data storage in Ubuntu. What you might want to do is create a folder "data" (or something similar, something you will recognize) in your home directory, and mount the partition there.

Is your D drive NTFS, or Fat32?

For question 3, no, linux does not have a centralized device manager like Windows does, but it does have tools for setting up your wireless card. Do you know what chipset your card uses? (ie: broadcom, prism, atheros, ect)
Old August 1st, 2007, 12:30 AM

O/S: Linux
Quote:
Originally Posted by mugsy27 View Post
1. running ubuntu in a windows (AD) environment. Win2K3 has c and d partitions, where d is shared as d$. I would like to have ubuntu map to the win box's d$. what is the command to do this?
Step 1: install samba
Step 2: mount -t smbfs -o username=???? //[IP]/D

Quote:
2. i usually setup my win boxes as c: = o/s and d: = data. can i setup ubuntu to do this as well...either from a fresh install or from my current setup?
Sure -- you can have seperate partitions for / and /home
Do it from fresh install using cfdisk or w/e the partitioning thing is for ubuntu (sorry :\)

Quote:
3. does linux have something like device manager? im gonna try and conquer the world of wireless networking soon, and i figure that will help with getting my pcmcia card going.
Nope, but kage is spot on
Research what chipset your card has (each card buys a chipset form somewhere else so there is only really 3 or 4 drivers, atheros, prism etc)
Then search for a linux driver (if it's an atheros chipset, use madwifi drivers, prism uses prism drivers)

Then if you can't find it -- ndiswrapper will run windows driver in linux (minus some cool functions, so find a native one first)

Welcome to the world of intelligent OS's
-poz